Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Rich dentist poaches a lion and ruins his practice

Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Killing animals for sport = bad

Killing humans for revenge = good

K, thanks for today's moral update.

No different than Conservatives "saving babies" and killing inmates.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Just for the sake of argument, this is an interesting counterpoint:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...tio-1720901473

tl;dr

Every time one of these big game hunters bags game like this it's because he's forked over tens (& in some cases hundreds) of thousand of dollars for the privilege.

Most of the time a fair chunk of that goes back into animal rejuvenation projects.

This guy is for all intents & purposes a VIP to these people. Despite his violent intent he has donated millions to the cause doing way more good than harm.

Projects like this are the reason we still have any rhino species left on this planet at all.

According to Dr. David Macdonald, who runs the project that was monitoring Cecil (heard the interview today), most of the money goes into the pockets of guides, outfitters and government officials. Some does make it to conservation efforts, but not that much. What many people don't realize that the killing of Cecil is likely going to result in the deaths of at least 6 other lions. Cecil was the dominant male in his Pride. Now that he's gone, outside males are going to challenge the less dominant males and will result in some deaths. The new leader will then kill all of Cecil's cubs to induce the females back into heat. This is why sport hunting does so much damage.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by i8acobra
No different than Conservatives "saving babies" and killing inmates.
Inmates have been found guilty by an impartial court system, not a one-sided hate mob. And those who get the needle are also beyond hope, most with a long history of violence that cannot be returned to society with treatment. This guy just made a mistake and I'm betting he regrets every bit of it. But, let's kill him anyways right?

Your comparison is a failure.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
What many people don't realize that the killing of Cecil is likely going to result in the deaths of at least 6 other lions. Cecil was the dominant male in his Pride. Now that he's gone, outside males are going to challenge the less dominant males and will result in some deaths. The new leader will then kill all of Cecil's cubs to induce the females back into heat. This is why sport hunting does so much damage.

That is an unfortunate response, but is not uncommon among territorial species. It's rather irrelevant however as it's only the small number of surviving males under 3 years of age and those he's able to catch in the first place. Those that are caught and killed will be replenished and likely with greater numbers to begin with. Any female with even a single dead cub will basically fall into estrus and can produce up to 4 more young. Also that male will attempt to mate with every lioness in the pride for nothing more than shear dominance. So in a way 6 could become 16 in no time at all.

Not making excuses for the hunter, but facts are facts.

Then there is the general consensus of the people in Zimbabwe, a country with something nearing 60% unemployment, where this kind of gig could mean a world of difference to a hungry family. "Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the center of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange." Keep in mind that any government money doesn't just help the families of the guides and the wealthy class, but thanks to the Labour Act of 2005, all unemployed between the ages of 16 and 65 can receive benefits which the taxes from this hunt will help fund.

Again, not singing off on the act of hunting as a sport, but there are numerous factors that need to be reviewed beyond the death of an animal. There is a huge humanitarian aspect to this that is widely disregarded completely.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Inmates have been found guilty by an impartial court system, not a one-sided hate mob. And those who get the needle are also beyond hope, most with a long history of violence that cannot be returned to society with treatment. This guy just made a mistake and I'm betting he regrets every bit of it. But, let's kill him anyways right?

Your comparison is a failure.

He didn't make a mistake. He has a history. Google.

The death penalty is killing humans for revenge, so the comparison absolutely fits. You don't see it cause it doesn't fit your viewpoint.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb7_UrV3-A[/media]
Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Old 08-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Just to be a troll, I posted #lionslivesmatter in a #blacklivesmatter FB post. I got 8 likes then got deleted. LOL.