Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Resume Advice

Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so it's about that time for me to polish up that old resume of mine. I don't have to change much on it, just adding my current job which Im leaving in 2 weeks. However, I would also like to add the fact that I've run my own ebay business since 2006. Not just casually, but really as a second job, making $1000+ sales per month at times. So would I put that in with the jobs, or in another section? And how much should I elaborate on it?

And the second question I have, is it ok for the resume to be more than one page long? I have worked in quite a few places, and most of them pertain specifically to the field in which I am looking for work (Interior Design). And since I haven't yet finished school, I'd like to include my vast work experience as a way to sublement the missing school experience.

As always, thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

REALLY, try and keep it one page. Your resume and cover letter (you are doing a cover letter?) are your ticket in, you can elaborate once you're in for the interview.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Yeah they said "cover letter explaining why this position is of interest and how you would be successful in the role." So that means I have to write something that'll peak their interest.

Ok, well then if I have to trim it to 1 page, could I leave my interests section out? Or is that something that I should definetly include?

One more thing. Should I mention in the cover letter that I'm moving back to Toronto in 3 weeks, or should I just put down my Canadian address and not mention anything about my status? I'd hate for them to not consider me just because of that.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I'd put down my Toronto address.

The ebay stuff - depends on what kind of job you are interested in. If it's something related to sales/marketing/whatever, I would include that as in the jobs section. If it's unrelated I'd put it in a different section (interests?) or maybe an "other" subection of Jobs; or even not mention it at all..
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM

hmm, but then I realized that they'll see my job experience as being in NY, and then they'll be confused.

And since I need to condence my resume to one page, I'll think I'll stick ebay in with computer/other skills. And maybe I'll mention it in the cover letter as well. I'll see once I start writing it.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

The interests section isn't really that important, I've taken it off of my resume... Of course I'm in the trades though.

My sister is like a resume god and hers, and my brothers, are both two pages. If the content merits the extra page then it's ok, but make it count. Don't make it a page and a half, if it's two pages make it look like two pages. Sometimes enlarging/changing the font will allow you to make 1 and 2/3 of a page turn into two full pages, while at the same time making it easier to read. Some people try and pack everything into one page by reducing the margins, reducing the font, or making things look compressed, and then things look cluttered. Then you've made a 1 page resume thats hard to read, rather than a two page that would be easy and convenient, as well as show off more of your skills.

And definitely put your TO address.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

2 page resumes are generally only for people who have been working for a long time and have the credits and experience to go on there. For example, if you're just out of college and only have a couple years under your belt, definitely a 1 pager. However, if you have a Masters or PhD or a ton of experience all around, you may use a second page.
Shoot for a one pager, if you do two, people are really expecting a lot from you (I mean a lot). If you're important enough to use a second page, you better make it worth their while.