Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Reasons For My Decrease In Activity Lately

Old 06-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have pretty much been on *browse* mode on the forums, posting only when I saw fit, and exercising my mod powers as needed. I haven't been on NEARLY what I am used to, and it's hard catching up to 6 pages of recent threads.

Most of you know about the several health issues my girlfriend has gone through in the past year or two. Last year (Jan - May) she battled Crohn's Disease for months in the hospital, then had surgery. Then she had her gallbladder removed when they found out she had over 30 gallstones, and had been there for 3-4 years (surgery to remove gallbladder in Sept). Then, in Jan. of 2005, she had an emergency root canal because her teeth were literally falling apart, due to the high levels of steroids and antibiotics she had been on the previous year.

Alright, fast forward to May 2005. She's at the hospital visiting her aunt, and she had a seizure (don't know why). First seizure in over 10 years. As a result, she fractured the T-5 disc in her spine. Her bones had become extremely brittle because of the steroids and antibiotics she took last year, and she's taking Methotrexate to keep her Crohn's Disease in remission, and that deteriorates the bones as well. So, the seizure caused a fractured disc in her back...

She went to the doctor again, 2 weeks later for another checkup on her back, and somehow she had fractured 4 more discs (total of 5 fractured discs in her spine). She is now in a back brace, confined to her bed most of the time, unable to move or really do anything. Last year with the Crohn's disease she was forced to drop out of college, and she was well into her search for starting a career when all of this happened. She's been overwhelmed by doctor bills, surgery, etc. and paying back school loans, and she loses her insurance through her mom this August when she turns 23.

I'm trying to save up enough money so that we can get married and get our own house so that I can take care of her. I'm working minimum of 60 hours per week at a printing press, and 7-8 hours on the weekends at a restaurant... so working nearly 70 hours per week... while trying to take care of my girlfriend and taking her lunch everyday. I'm working 3:45pm - 3:45am Mon-Fri and barely getting any sleep. I work 12 hours/day... sleep 5-6.. spend MAYBE 2 hours awake at home each day, and the rest of the time with her. Oh yeah... and on top of all this, I'm also teaching my Sunday school class for the summer while our teacher is on mission trips...

Just wanted to update everybody on what's been going on here, and why I haven't been so active lately. I'm also a moderator on another forum, and very active in another local car forum. Life would be so much easier if nobody had to sleep, and could go non-stop everyday.

Please keep my girlfriend in your prayers. She needs a lot of help and encouragement. 02.gif
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

That sucks mate... I can't imagine the heartache of having someone so close go through so much hardship, especially your missus'.

I wish your gf a speedy recovery & hope that everything works out for you both. It's hardly the type of stuff you want to have to deal with at such a young age (or any age for that matter) but I commend you for the love & care you have shown to date.

Things must work differently over there as this type of stuff would be covered by the government over here (at least I'm pretty sure it would).

Also mate, if you're able to set it up, I'd happily donate to a special fund for her & I'm sure others would too. Just a thought...

Good luck,

Tim.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 AM

wow im really sorry to hear that man. ill definitely be praying for the both of you.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

We wish you both the best man, let me know if I can do anything for you.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

ill definitely be praying for the both of you.like red said let us know what we can doo to help
Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Good luck with everything, I hope she will pull through again. If I was you I would try to maybe get someone else to do the sunday thing...take a day off.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 AM

I hope everything works out for you bud.
Thats a hard thing to go through.
Keep your head up man!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You seem like a really good guy to your girlfriend. I bet she's really grateful for all the help you've given her. There are rough patches in life and then theres a period in which things get better..it'll all work out. She'll be in my prayers for sure.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM

omfg, and to think I had some major issues with work/sleep hours
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You're an awesome person man. my best wishes are with you and your girlfriend.