Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

A question about forums...

Old 01-21-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about forums...

Hey all, quick question here...

Me and a few buddies are interested in getting a forum up and running on our company's website. Could any of you provide information as to where I would go to get this going? I know very little about it, and I kind of want to tackle this myself. Are there companies that can help me set it up, and then I can take over and moderate it? Or would I have to do it all from scratch?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-------------------------
.Joe Bongiovanni.
.Elite Division Marketing.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:54 PM

It's actually quite easy to do, but it can take a staff of volunteers to moderate. I personally think Infopop is one of the better to use, and you can find a link to a trial version at the bottom of every page in this forum. Infopop does cost though. There are some freebees out there like yaBB. I think yaBB is a little harder to customize than Infopop UBB and the setup is a little more tedious. All you need is a web server that supports Perl, CGI and or PHP, which most decent ones do.

Do a search on Google for UBB, Vbulletin or yaBB and you will find LOTS of forums that explain how to set up and even some titles of the free ones.

It took me about 3 hours as a beginner to set up Infopop UBB. Basically is consisted of verifying the path to Perl in a txt file, and then copying various files and folders into specified folders on your web server and then CHMODing them with the right permissions......fairly easy stuff if you use something like WS_FTP.

Let me know if you have any ???
Old 01-22-2003, 12:27 PM

what kinda forum do you wanna start? another hyundai forum?
Old 01-22-2003, 12:33 PM

Well, it would be a more direct way for our customers to contact us if they had any questions about our services. Also, we would include a place for all Hyundai enthusiasts to gather and chat. I realize there are a lot of boards already, but one more wouldn't hurt.

I'm the Internet Marketing Supervisor for a USA based company called Elite Division Marketing. We're in the business to represent companies at car shows, and to get their names out to the public. Recently, I've been given a small assignment. Start a messageboard for the company's website. The main reason we'll be doing this is to give customers another way to contact us. We want to be as direct as possible with these people. So I poked and prodded around to see what I could come up with.

Still confused, but gathering information as I go. Thanks for all the help guys.

----------------
Joe Bongiovanni
Elite Division Marketing