Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

polishing tools

Old 11-15-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the dremel with the polishing kit. it does real good for the first 10 minutes but then the bits start to shred. i am using it on low speed also and i am polishing aluminum.

the rubbing compound rocks and it gives a mirror shine but it takes like an hour just to do a small job.

anyone else know of a better way to polish aluminum or am i stuck with the dremel?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:13 PM

the problem with aluminum.. it is a rather soft metal.. it will quickly clog a lot of tools and destroy them.. like your polishing bit. What have you polished? I was looking under the hood of my tib.. I am thinking of doing a few unusual bits like the feed line to the water pump (once I get headers) and the thermostat housing.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:21 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

try a product called brasso and get a buffing head that will fit onto a drill.
add a bit of brasso and then buff, it will turn black, then put a bit on a cloth and wipe the black siht off.

Sort of depends what your trying to polish but. wink.gif
Old 11-18-2003, 06:38 AM

i am polishing my intake charge piping from my innercooler to the throttle body.

i tried brasso and never dull but they do not get the glimmer shine like a mirror. the best i can get is with the dremel but it doesnt leave a smooth shine.

it looks really good but you can see the over lapping lines from the shine bit. i am trying to find something that will leave the smooth finish.

i tried using those little buffing bits but all they do is shred.

i was thinking about getting them chrome dipped or the silver ceramic coating they use on headers and stuff then just use the brasso or never dull to keep it shiney.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

try this john
http://eastwoodcompany.com/Department.asp?...=Specialty+Kits

if you already have a buffing wheel, id get this
http://eastwoodcompany.com/itemdy01.asp?De...I1.x=74&I1.y=63