Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Pc Problems

Old 11-28-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this question is more for PC "nerds", cos i dont know if many ppl would know whats goin on here..Anyway..

I bought ATi Radeon 9600PRO 256mb graphics card, just received it today, installed it, seems to run all good except when i run my game..Then the trouble begins..Now, the drivers are updated so its not a problem there..This is how the screen looks like:

Ive tried playing around with the settings on it, but it just doesnt cut it..Tried everything i knew that could be..This card is about 5x times faster than my old one, and about 3 years newer, but perfomance worse than the old one..any ideas?=/
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

uninstall old drivers, uninstall new drivers, reseat the card and reinstall drivers.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 AM

well thats wat i did in the first place..then i thought oh well its been a long time so ill reformat my whole PC and now its still the same thing, the drivers are brand new, the reinstall doesnt seem to be helping=/
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Replace the Video Card. The card you got has a problem with either the GPU or the memory.

First there is a texture problem, then you are also getting distortion in the lines. I would take the card back to wherever you got it from and get a replacement.

I experienced problems like this with my old Laptop computer. Turns out it was actually the CPU that overheated and was causing major video problems. But that was something that you saw all the time, not just in a 3D environment.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

yup, that looks a lot like video RAM. I see it all the time. Did you overclock it?
take it back to where you bought it if you can. if not, RMA it to the manufature.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

yup, those are mostly memory issue, I had a 9800 Pro that did that, with some memory downclock I was able to keep it a little longer but it finaly died after 3 years of good services! tongue.gif

So call them to get a RMA and send it back to get another one!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Hmm..i bought this from eBay and the seller doesnt seem to be responding... mad.gif ill give him a day to respond..

Anyway, last night i was playing around with it and well in the settings it has 5 little "stops" to change between "Perfomance" and "Quality". Well going from the left and setting it on "Optimal Perfomance" the screen messes up, so then i set it to 3rd one, which is middle and says "Balanced" i ran the game, seemed to be working fine but the FPS dropped quite a bit, then i set it to the 2nd "stop" that said "High Perfomance" - well this didnt give me that 'nice' flashy screen, fps rised, but were still jumping: when the area in the game is big - low fps, small area (i.e. some room) - high fps..

Now logicaly thinking better quality should cause more problems, but here it seemed to be working backwards or something, still cant figure out what is going on with this thing...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ugh, this is why I don't buy alot of electronics on ebay anymore.

I'd get this is what happened:
1.someone got a new video card
2. after a while got bored and overclocked it
3. fried it
4. sold on ebay.

If the dude doesn't respond after a day or two file a paypal complaint. get your money back. that 9600 should have NO problems playing cs fully cranked out.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Yeah i know that deal..But you can tell that the card was used a bit, no dust or marks on the card where u put it into the slot or where the screw goes..

And also the card works fine with every other game that i tried, even Half-Life laugh.gif which uses basicly the same graphics engine..

I contacted the ATI support and they adviced doing some updates to my pc, so now i dont have the problem as per picture (i updated my AGP/Chipset drivers), but now the PC seems to hang when playing CS, usually when it does so you would see the HDD light flashin and stuff like that, but this time it doesnt, so im suspecting that the graphics card lags up and only on CS..tried reinstalling the game, doesnt help..=/
Old 12-02-2006, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

interesting, I was thinking you said it was all games. halflife is the same game, just different skins.

try a checkdisk? defrag? windows updates? and cs is running in steam right? make sure your using the same setting as you do in half-life. (i tend to get better results from opengl rather than direct3d in half-life.)

for checkdisk - open my computer> right click on c:> tools tab> check now> check both box and click ok. reboot so it'll do the scan.