Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Paypal Scam!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

got this from rsw:

QUOTE (Brice @ Jul 24 2006, 02:23 AM)
I got this from Something Awful Thought id share
You get an email like this

So you dont have a recent transaction so you open the e-mail to see whats up, and get this

You obviously didnt make that transaction so you click the link and get this. Check out the URL

So you log in and get this

Be Careful Everyone
Old 07-24-2006, 07:30 AM

stuff like that... NEVER follow the links. go right to Paypal and check for yourself.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If the email isn't FROM PAYPAL THEMSELVES, and the http address it's sending you to isn't HTTPS://www.paypal.com , then you DON'T ENTER YOUR LOGIN INFO ON IT and forward it to spoof@paypal.com .

Since you logged in, THEY NOW HAVE YOUR LOGIN INFO!!! Go change your password ASAP, and perhaps your email too.

It's that simple.

I can't belive folks get taken by this stuff. If you get an email you think you need to verify, open a browser window and go to the site by yourself. Hiding links is easy, but you can save yourself from getting f***ed by just typing in www.paypal.com

Once you see it's a fraudulent email, you forward it to the address above, and they take care of the rest, to include verifying with you that they DID NOT SEND IT.

I can't belive you gave them your login info.

BTW, this is the third time I've asked for it, I want my Halo 2 game back.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Its way easier than all of the detecting needed. I get maybe 10 to 20 of these a week. Both from banks, paypal, ebay, etc.

They all start by saying something lame like: "Dear Valued Paypal customer,"

They always make a threat, subtle but unnerving still. Thats why people just follow the link to "Get this thing sorted out". Well, thats what they want.

You can forward any messages from ebay, to Spoof@ebay.com They record it. Every once in a while when I got some anger built up I trace the name of the ebay customer who says they've filed bad feedback and just want the John Denver album they bought from me, lol. I send mean ass hatemail to them about cheating in life and being bottom feeding trash. Makes me feel good, then I delete and move on.

NEVER NEVER NEVER think the message is real unless it displays your full name registered with the company. And even then, go direct to the site, dont follow links peoples. Be safe!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've gotten that email a number of times, it's kinda funny now. ALWAYS look at the URL and see if it's really paypal! Also, when you log in, there should be a security notification in the lower portion of your window (a lock in firefox or something similar).
It's a terribly done site, any link you click on, even 'help' takes you to the login screen, and I've logged in a number of times as: email: cantgetme@pwned.com password: fusucka! or something like that. They look at the logins at some point trying to see what they get, and it's just a nice little gesture smile.gif
Also, paypal will never ask you for your credit card once all your information is in their site. If they ask you for something like that, it's definitely fake.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

yeah, i got the same message before. dam scammers always finding new ways to make money.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ya forward it to paypal when you get those. ive had quite a few of them
Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM

Also, when pay pal contact you they start the e mail with your full name, if its a con they don't know your name so thats why they start with valued customer.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Jul 24 2006, 01:06 PM)
got this from rsw:

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jul 24 2006, 03:00 PM)
I can't belive you gave them your login info.
BTW, this is the third time I've asked for it, I want my Halo 2 game back.

i didnt give them nothin i got this info from rsw.....

and your game is in the mail along with your cyl head and actually its your second
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM

I typed in some info after gettin one..... username F*@@ Y$$ and some crazy password. Could get ugly though if you don't know about this stuff....I sent warnings to my friends and family some time ago.