Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Orgin Of Friday 13th!!

Old 05-13-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,have you ever wondered why Friday the 13th is considered unlucky? Is it because of some ritualistic evil that took place on this date? Hardly, I'm sure some of you guys heard of the Knights Templer (given a bad rap in the new ficticous movie, Kingdom of Heaven)? They were a very respected and powerfull order back in the cruisades. They develeoped the first modern banking system and were very power and wealthy due to their success in the middle east and partly due to new recruits having to give up all wealth and lands to the order. In addition, they were well supported by various other powerful individuals who made them wealthier then imagineable.
A French king, PhilipIV, owed the Templers a high sum of money and coveted their wealth in conjunction with Pope Clement the V. They conspired together to round up the Templers and take their possession for themselves! The Templers were well liked and had many allies so the French King and Pope secretly came up with a date to have them arrested for false charges of heresy. The date was Friday the 13th, 1307!!! Many templers were arrested and tortured with their grandmaster Jacques De Molay. A large number of Templers were able to excape with their fleet and fled to Scottland under the protection of Sir Robert Bruce (sound familiar). The events that transpired were so shocking that Friday the 13th was considered unlucky ever since!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Look at that. Ya learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing Cyber.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Very interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would have involved something like that. I wonder why the Pope would be in on it?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Nice little history fact there! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Thanks for some interesting story/facts/legend smile.gif
Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM

QUOTE (firebug21 @ May 13 2005, 11:43 PM)
Very interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would have involved something like that. I wonder why the Pope would be in on it?

He coveted their wealth as the Templers were the most powerful organization of it's time. In addition the pope may have feared the French King who had already assassinated a pope of two. Templers had lands all over Europe and the French king needed the pope to help him as the pope was the supreme ruler of the time and other kings would take his order as their law. You have to remember that this time was wrought with greed and abuse of Christianity, such as some of the popes and European Kings. This is what eventually led to Lutherism. Religous scandles are still evenident to this day.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

There is also the theory that it was because there were 13 attending the Last Supper on Good Friday. Can't have a much more unlucky day than that!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 PM

There are those that believe 13 is a lucky number because Jesus and the 12 apostles.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

LOL, somebody just read "The Da Vinci Code". That book has some interesting revelations in it. have you read "Angels and Demons", it is the prequel and is pretty neet too.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 AM

I've never read the Di Vinci Code. If you've seen the special that came out on it not that long ago, it was stated that the book is fictionalized and has many things wrong with it's facts and conclusions. I'm sure it has historical facts to back up some of it points though.
I've learned alot about the Templers from reading and talking or people who are knowledgeable in subject. I don't set out to read books specifically about them, it's just that they played such an important role in western civilization, that they frequently come out in books pertaining to the time period.
I didn't even know there was a sequal to the Di Vinci Code. Thanks for letting me know, if I ever read DiVinci, I'll make sure to purchase the second book as well smile.gif .