Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Opinions on Automotive News

Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default Opinions on Automotive News

With the Detroit and LA auto shows going on, there is a BUNCH of posts in the Auto News forum.

Please check them out and provide feedback here, or in the individual threads.

#1. The Ford 427 Blew me away. If Ford ever makes it, and keeps in under $50,000, I'd consider buying one. 4 doors and more power than a viper. HELL YEAH!!!

#2. The Mercury Messenger seems to me, it should be the Cougar. Not only does it look like it is derived from the Mustang base (see new mustang photos), to me, it just looks like an update of the "cougar" of old that I remember. Sure it might piss of some guys who currently own the "new" cougar, but to me, the "new" cougar isn't a Cougar. The Old Cougar was a luxury version of the mustang. The "new" cougar just doesn't cut it.

#3. Boo to Hyundai. Their concept is wacked, radical, and just plain ugly. The supercharged 4 cylinder is a nice idea of us speed/power freaks, but to put it into a "OLV" is just a shame.

#4. Boo to Kia. Their "slice" is an inflated Toyota Yaris wannabe with the Hyundai 2.7L V6. *yawn*.

I was expecting better from both Hyundai and Kia.

Let's see, Ford/Mercury give us some decent power car concept vehicles, GM brings back the GTO, a new SS, and slaps the GTP Supercharged V6 into the Grand Am. Porsche brings out a 350 and 450 HP wagon...and Hyundai and Kia give us ugly little sport utes? Oh well, both have a long way to go before they have the appeal of the Honda Element or the new Mitsu Suv.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Yeah, I was very dissapointed when I heard about what Hyundai was showing. No Elantra sedan GT, so new Tiburons, no V8 XG350s, nothing. At least they promised a new Sonata and Santa Fe, along with a van.

...still no mini-truck...

One of the coolest concept cars I have seen is that Mercury sports car... that looks nice. eek!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I like the Golf R32 and the STi... I think the Suzuki Concept S looks pretty cool, but it also looks a bit too much like the Mini Cooper S.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 AM

Random, I thought you would have been all over the Tomahawk!!

The Tomahawk Concept
This is the wild one. Imagine a 500-horsepower Viper engine on wheels. No chassis or body, just wheels. That’s the Tomahawk. Wolfgang Bernard, outfitted in the requisite leather jacket, drove this concept onstage.

This 4-wheel motorbike is a mechanical sculpture, with nothing but outrageous performance in mind. Weighing only 1,500 lbs., the Tomahawk can reach 60 mph in just 2.5 seconds. Top speed is estimated to be around 300 mph, but that hasn’t been verified. Yet. When Dieter Zetsche, president and CEO of the Chrysler Group asked if this vehicle would ever be produced, the response was “maybe,” which is more than many other automaker execs would have granted. Â
eek!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:46 PM

Random-

Just wanted to stop in and say "thanks" for doing things like this, it honestly makes life for me a lot easier. Thank you. smile.gif
Old 01-08-2003, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

I don't like the styling of the Mustang, the Caddy 16 could be a competitor to the Maybach, Korean conept cars are *** ugly, and I don't like the styling of the Mustang.