Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Obama wants to increase minimum wage rate to $10.10/hr

Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Obama wants to increase minimum wage rate to $10.10/hr

Will prices on things go up a lot if this happens? How else will business owners be able to pay for the higher wages?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

F*ck Obama!

BUILD ROBOTS!

It was never meant to be a living wage. You couldn't live off a MCD wage 20 years ago just as you can't now. Go to school!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

agreed.

each time they do anything to help "those poor minimum wage earners" businesses found ways to cut THEM back instead of hurting their bottom line

for example

MASSIVE switch to part time labor since obamacare passed

plus if you switch to a digital format like jon posted, they WILL STOP f*cking UP MY GODDAM ORDER

ugh

oh you said no onions? lemme press no patty extra onions

chumps

plus itll help people like me who can possibly one day design the robot that flips the damn patty
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You can't live off of $10.10 an hour either. At least not around here.

I don't think raising the minimum wage solves much, but really $10.10 isn't much money.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem isn't the low number of dollars people make. The problem is that the dollars aren't worth what they used to be. The Fed is the entity causing the trouble at the behest of our elected heroes. The Fed is also populated with people who do not know what the problem is and therefore they are incapable of solving the problem.

So? Prices go up and ignorant people cry about their wages instead of their buying power.

This, coming from a guy who hasn't had a raise in years and is pretty well broke - but at least I know WHY I'm broke! (hint: children)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

This is just another ploy to earn favor with the ignorant masses and gain party votes.

What amazes me (not really) is the number of farm jobs I've seen recently paying 15-20/hour. And those positions remain unfilled, yet we keep bowing to the lowest common denominator. I've said it 100 times, but when I had a dead-end POS job I worked my ass off to climb my way up and out of that dump.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Interesting arguments. What are the benefits to increasing the minimum wage?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Most minimum wage earners are already getting $10+ dollars an hour. What McDonald's doesn't pay them, tax payers do. Food stamps, earned income tax credits, subsidized lunches for their kids at school, Medicaid. I say it's time to make the employers pay more and cut the amount of social aid they receive in exchange.

Guess what Wall Street... the economy sucks. This means all of your publicly traded corporations are not supposed to be making as much profits as they were when the economy was good. This means shareholders who want profit growth need to be told "go suck it", not "we can still maximize growth potential by blah, blah, cutting wages, blah, blah, streamlining, blah, blah, less expensive raw materials, blah, blah...".

Eliminate Wall Street! Bring back the privately owned company! = Economy fixed.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheels, the benefit to increasing the minimum wage is very, very large indeed. One has to consider, however, who benefits?

The people earning the minimum wage are a very small subset of the population and approximately EVERYBODY gets a raise. The people earning minimum wage are usually in entry-level positions and are promoted relatively quickly, and so it is a constantly changing set of people. The minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. You aren't supposed to be making a career and rearing 7 kids earning it. Everybody working it and worth more, gets more, usually within months if not weeks. The rest, they may probably safely be called "roof perchers" and are not skilled OR smart enough to be worth more to their employer. Yes, I have started a job at minimum wage. I wasn't on minimum wage for long.

The people who truly benefit from increases in minimum wages are Democrat legislators. Yes.

There is a certain method of structuring wages for large national labor unions based on multiples of the minimum wage. Increasing minimum wage requirements gives a big FAT raise to all the people whose pay schedule is based off the legal minimum. These people, in theory, in gratitude to their benefactors in Congress, will continue to show up at astroturf protests, and man phone banks during election season, and of COURSE to continue to vote Democrat. Also the union leadership benefits, because the membership is ever-so glad to continue to re-elect them to their cushy leadership jobs after a bigass raise.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It will generally increase rate of inflation, that will benefit me. I'll get a raise due to inflation but my 30 year mortgage will still cost me the same number of dollars per month.