Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Not car related, please look anyway.

Old 01-07-2002, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not car related, please look anyway.

Anybody have any good ideas on wowing the hell out of people at a job interview? I've got one in about a week that'll give me a foot in the door to a career I've always dreamed of. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

What's the job for? It'll help us give you good tips for the particular job. wink.gif
Old 01-07-2002, 12:55 PM

County corrections officer. Jailer, whatever you want to call it.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:40 PM

1) Be confident. Know in your own mind that you're the best person for the job, and convey that to the interviewer. If it's a jail position, your interviewer is probably gonna be one of those hard-ass don't-take-crap personalities. Don't crumple under it.

2) Answer the questions succinctly. There's a psychological tactic used in interviews where after you answer a question, the interviewer will keep a paused silence for a short while. If the interviewee is nervous, they'll probably start talking more to fill in the silence, and more than likely are only gonna say things that make them sound stupid. Give your answer, and stop talking.

3) Talk yourself up, but don't lie. They're trying to get an honest feel for what you can do and who you are. If you truly don't know something, turn the situation around. Admit you don't know it, but add that you're willing to learn and are a fast learner.

4) Turn your faults into positive qualities. Don't say you're nit-picky or anal, say you're detail-oriented, meticulous, or perfectionist. The worst question they might ask will be "So, what do you think are your weaknesses?" or something like that. If you come around and say, "I don't work well in groups," that's a bad thing. But if you turn it around and say, "I tend to work best as a leader and usually am very self-motivated to do my own work," that sounds MUCH better.

5) Be professional. Dress and groom the part. Shake hands, make confident eye contact, don't fidget or slump as you sit through the interview.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 02:10 PM

Bring a Billy Club with you and do your best "Big Boss Man" impersonation!

wink.gif
Old 01-07-2002, 02:36 PM

LOL!!! Hire Tie Domi smile.gif
Old 01-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Pinch his ear, tell him to bend over and squeel like a pig. Trust me...they'll remember you!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the info Iago, and thanks to the other guys for making my boss come over and say "what the hell is so funny". Pinch his ear and tell him to bend over and squeel like a pig, sheesh!
Old 01-07-2002, 10:42 PM

Don't forget to tell them that if those darn Duke boys get locked up in your jail you know all their tricks.