Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

North Korea... Should I be Worried?

Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S
Default North Korea... Should I be Worried?

I try and keep up with the news, honest. I just pay more attention to local news than world news, but recent events in North Korea have me concerned. So I'm curious, are you worried, or concerned at all about what they are doing over there? Do you feel like a war is about to happen? Personally I don't want a war (who does?), and would like to know what happened to finding Osama bin Laden...?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

To be honest? No. Don't worry. Korea has been at this and WORSE points for the past 50 years. The North is a starving country, everything they have goes to their military, and even they are failing. Their equipment is getting old, the Russians and Chineese want our help so bad that they aren't helping the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, North Korea). The Nuke game is not a new one, India and Pakistan went at it for a year or two, even testing them regularly in violation of treaties. All just flexing muscle. What you do need to worry about however, is the possibility that the DPRK will export Plutonium from their restarted reactors. Bombs are easier to find, a small plate of Plutonium, easy to smuggle, and easy to make into a dirty bomb or a crude nuke, the type we used on Japan. The North and South will reunite. I personally think with the way things are going, it will be in the next 10 to 15 years, and peacefully. The DPRK won't nuke the South, the whole reason they want this land is for just that, THE LAND! They can't use it when it's blown to glass and radioactive for hundreds of years. With the way the DPRK and the ROK (Republic of Korea, South Korea) have been making amends in the last few years, it's going to end. The North knows that if they strike South, all they want here will be destroyed, the commerce, trade, manufacturing areas... The Tiburon plants... LOL. Hell, they have even made concessions to let more reunions between split families happen, and offered up MORE space and requested MORE families get to reunite at once than the south. They are even reconnecting 2 highways and 2 railroads this year. Progress.

Can it happen?

Pearl Harbor did...

New York and the Pentagon did...

Will it? I don't think so. Bush doesn't phuck around, and the North would get their asses handed to them in the long run. Lose lose.

As for Osama? I personally think he's dead. Ooohhhh, no body? How much do YOU think is left of a body after having been carpet bombed? Not much. Fine red schmeer of jelly. The threat is in the Mideast and needs to be fixed. AL Queada (SP) and other terrorist factions/cells will exist for some time, and we and the other militaries of the world will hunt them down, and slaughter them. They are fighting for ideas.

We are fighting for our country, our freedom, and our way of life. We're fighting for ideas and dreams that have, and will, come true.

Keep the faith HyundaiJVX. Even in the Lord of the Rings the good guys still win.

wink tongue.gif
Old 12-30-2002, 01:11 AM

**** you have lot of knowledge redz
yea i dont think war is goign to happen soon, and even tho they have nuclear bomb, they wont use it or maybe they cant use it.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:46 AM

REDZMAN:

They are fighting for ideas.

We are fighting for our country, our freedom, and our way of life. We're fighting for ideas and dreams that have, and will, come true.

Keep the faith HyundaiJVX. Even in the Lord of the Rings the good guys still win.

wink :p
good guys?

who might that be (in reality, not lotr)?
Old 12-30-2002, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/29/...tary/index.html

That makes me mad... nothing against you military types, but I'm not cut out for it. I would seriously dodge a draft... then move back and run for president.

Frostbyte, the Americans are the good guys. Because we are the only country that should ever have any kind of weapons, and any country with any kind of weapons, should be destroyed... or at least that's what our leaders think. wink
Old 12-30-2002, 10:45 PM

Zaibatsu JVX:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/29/...tary/index.html

That makes me mad... nothing against you military types, but I'm not cut out for it. I would seriously dodge a draft... then move back and run for president.

Frostbyte, the Americans are the good guys. Because we are the only country that should ever have any kind of weapons, and any country with any kind of weapons, should be destroyed... or at least that's what our leaders think. wink
If members of congress, or their children had to be ground troops, they would be less likely to initiate a war.

that's a lot of countries you gotta take out now.. got a few busy years ahead of ya smile.gif

It's kinda funny (not "ha ha funny") that it seems to me that all this (MOMD worries) was rekindled not by weapons of mass destruction, but by a couple of knives on public transportation.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:34 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I wouldn't be worried about anything, when people worry too much is just leads to things being worse off than they already are... besides we (the US) have the ability to handle anything that anyone else has the ability to do...
Old 01-01-2003, 01:53 AM

This is what I don't uderstand. Why S. Korean elderly that lived through the Korean War think the U.S intervention with N. Korea is a good thing. The S. Korean students are against the U.S intervention with N. Korea. What gives and who is right?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

We've been playing this game with North Korea since 1956. The difference this time is that the previous U.S. president (clinton) always knuckled under to thier threats/aggression. Bush isn't, so Kim Zhung Il (and the military elite) are trying to wind this up to international crisis. Historically, when they have done so, N.Korea has come out ahead. Historically, China and the USSR were on thier side supporting a fellow communist state. The USSR disolved in 88 and China is on our side regarding N.Korea, despite whatever other differences they may have with us. (This is an very interesting development in U.S./China relations, I'm interested to see what comes of it)

Though the experts are split on the ideas of the motivation of the N. Korean leaders, most agree that this is a deliberately timed manuever. Coinciding with the U.S. being "distracted" by Iraq. Some of the experts also believe that the N.Korean leaders underestimated Pres. Bush and his cabinet, as well as our strength at the U.N. I tend to think the same way.

If you go to

Heritage.org and do a search for 'korea' you get back a lot of article and editorials. 30 - 60 minutes of reading should give you a good grasp of the overall picture.

If you are interested in the overall U.S. foreign relations position skim this document .

My opinion is that it's saber rattling and political manuevering. N. Korea may be in it's death throws as a communist state, but it can still do a lot of damage. I don't think they will though.

[ January 01, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: blue2000 ]
Old 01-01-2003, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Good goddamn that was well put. On the nose.

One thing, we've been playing this game since 1953.

5 Star answer...

Jaws, for your answer, it's easier if you are here. The students haven't served in the Army yet, the draft starts at... 22 I think. Anyways, students are drafted after about 2 years in University. Once they have been in the army and see the history, the previously censored movies on treatment by the DPRK, visit the battlegrounds and see the defences still here and being built, and until they fully understand that the US is here as the major portion of the UN force, then they understand. At the New Years Party I was at the other night with DJ Lisa Loud (WORD!), I was, as usual, approached by a few people wanting to know why we were still here, or why they need us. After some level headed explaining, there were no problems. The elders here went thru that war, it was only 50 years ago, and a few that live near me talk to me about it often. The plain brutality of the Korean War makes Saving Private Ryan look like a comedy.

All this recent hostility towards the US here is brought down by the accident that happened this summer here. It was a tragic incident, and I'm very sad about it. The 2 girls that were killed were young and innocent. But at the same time the ROK army kills civilians accidentally every year. More than the US I might add, but because we are who we are, we bear the brunt of the problems. Not to mention the fact that many of the protesting groups get money to finance their protests from the DPRK.

[ January 01, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: REDZMAN ]