Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

New Country Wide Law?!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Accent
Default New Country Wide Law?!

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

More than 150 U.S. law enforcement officers have been killed since 1999 after being struck by vehicles along America's highways, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. To lower that deadly toll, a new coalition of traffic safety and law enforcement groups is launching a nationwide public awareness campaign to protect emergency personnel along our nation's roadsides.

"Move Over, America" is a partnership originally founded in 2007 by the National Safety Commission, the National Sheriffs' Association and the National Association of Police Organizations. Most recently, the partnership has also received the full support of the American Association of State Troopers. The campaign is the first nationally coordinated effort to educate Americans about "Move Over" laws and how they help protect the law enforcement officers who risk their lives protecting the public.

According to a national poll by Mason Dixon Polling & Research, sponsored by the National Safety Commission:
71 percent of Americans have not heard of “Move Over” laws;
86 percent support enacting “Move Over” laws in all 50 states; and
90 percent believe traffic stops and roadside emergencies are dangerous for law enforcement and first responders.
The poll was conducted among 625 registered voters from June 23-25. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percent.
Forty three states have passed “Move Over” laws, which require motorists to “Move Over” and change lanes to give safe clearance to law enforcement officers on roadsides.

New odd law that if ticketed for it is a $754 fine and 3 points on your license WTF? BangHead.gif While I agree this protects cops when they pull you over...I feel that its a bit excessive as far as the penalty goes.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

...and how many times have they almost caused severe accidents? they don't say that.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

I'm not sure about the other provinces, but here in Alberta we are required now to slow to 80 km/h at any sign of strobe lights. Be they red and blue, or red and white, or just orange (road construction), or be faced with a doubled fine. So that a 100km/h ticket, 20 km over, is fined as a 40 over ticket.

Plus demerits.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

We just had one of these laws passed here. I don't remember the exact requirements here though. I think you have to go 10mph under the posted speed limit if you're in the lane adjacent to the emergency vehicle, but if you can get over one lane you don't have to slow down.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

this was always a law for me, slow down or stay the same speed and move over 1 lane. it's not a big deal. I like to get over anyways and get as far away from cops as possible.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^Agreed. I'll get over every time it's possible, and if I can't , I do slow down. Not sure if it's law in CT or not, but it's definitely common sense!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it is common sense, however one day you or someone you know will find yourselves in court being accused of not moving over, even though you believe you did. this law is about finding ways to snatch money in an unstable economy.

that's the problem. everything in this country is turning into a crime. can do this, cannot do that. fine for this, fine for that. penalties penalties penalties.