Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Network Experts

Old 02-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Network Experts

So, I've decided to start learning a little more about networks. Why? Just because I figured it's good to know. I'll most likely never ever have to use it in my ever day job functions, but maybe some day it will be good knowledge to know. So, on my breaks, and in my spare time, I've started to learn about Frame Relays, IP VPN, Local Access Loops, Time Division Multiplexing, and how Networks work in general. It's a little confusing at first, but after time, it all starts to make sense. Anyone else here into this kind of stuff? If so, know of where else I could learn about it. I picked up a book (Networks For Dummy's) and it's breaking everything down pretty well.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you! I've been a network administrator for a few years now and it wont take you too long to get the basics. Afterwards you'll definately want to limit your area of research otherwise you'll easily become overwelmed. If you get stuck on anything feel free to shoot me an email aaron@gpcreative.com, I'll help ya best I can.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:29 AM

Visionz,

I am a MCSE, CCNP and going for my MCT......I have a TON of stuff to help you out. PM me if interested, I can VPN our PCs togther and transfer it all to you, or upload it to a web server somewhere, but I need about a gig of space.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:22 AM

I am CCNA and A+ and CSN

And out of work. ****ing IT market. I might get out and go into culinary. I cant find work at all in PA.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:55 AM

get "Token Rings for Dummys"

p.s. i'm not serious
Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 AM

lol I bet there's a "Tolkien Rings for Dummies" book. tongue.gif

I've been doing Unix network admin work for a few years now. I'm just getting started on the MCSE stuff. The networking isn't the hard stuff for me, it's remembering all of the *&^$%@ switches for the setup.exe and sysprep.exe programs!

Interesting stuff... Wel except for the bits that are mind-numbingly boring, that is. smile.gif
Old 02-07-2003, 02:36 AM

I am a win2k MCSE and MCSA along with A+ and net+ and i am 18 years old. and guess where i work. HAAGEN DAZS. any way i know thats off topic but hey i just wanted to get my point out. spent all that money on tests and i work at a ice cream store. thats why i am taking up computer engineering in college. It is some interesting stuff though. i have fun learnign it. It does pay off i guess so its good u wanted to pick it up.If u wanna learn some stuff u can get the Microsoft course books. tahts what we use in school. but when we take the tests we use brain dumps. they suck for tests but provide good information
Old 02-07-2003, 02:39 AM

MCSE tends to be a joke.

The old version was...I sitll have doubts on the NEW version.

I am interested in MCP and MCA. but not MCSE.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 AM

Shadohh:
MCSE tends to be a joke.
A+ is a bigger joke.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:01 AM

The MCSE certification isn't a joke, but most MCSEs tend to be one. Usually they take a course, read the books, pass the test, and they are MCSEs. Our rule of thumb is we never hire an MCSE w/ less than 5 years professional exp.