Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

NEED SOME MORAL SUPPORT, FROM FELLOW OWNERS!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe
Default Re: Radiator Support...Help!

^^^^^^^^^^

The Evos are great cars man but no offense, they're not prestige/luxury cars... An Evo would be more comparable to a WRX or 350Z or something... all great cars in their own right but they're not top-end Euros... I think 1997tibby is yearning for that extra bit of class that the Bimmer offers. I could be wrong though...
Old 01-07-2005, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: NEED SOME MORAL SUPPORT, FROM FELLOW OWNERS!!!

I'm going to have to go Sparticus' route here and agree that repairing a BMW is costly, you work at a dealership so that obviously isn't a problem.

Personally I want to make a car mine. I want to do as much work on it myself as I can and make a hobby of it. I want to take new ideas and adapt them to my situation. If it becomes cost effective to make my car AWD or Turbocharged or something else, I'll try my hand in it.

I like the attitude people have on this site towards their cars and other drivers. I believe we all have that love for a car that stands out but is not over done. I think the tiburon is a nice combination of both. And to make it your own with new racing seats, a new interior, whatever you want to do to, you can do it. In our day in age, a vehicle is a blank canvas. Anything you want can be done. All you need is a little bit of time and an idea.

Sell the tiburon if you want, ultimately it's your choice. If you want something to give to your child that is well done and is your interpretation of a car, do that. Good luck in either case.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Tib Tranny vs. Elantra Tranny??!?1

Ultimately 1997tibby, it depends on what you want from your car. If you want to give the impression that you are rich and impress the chicks then get the BMW. Keep in mind, unless you buy a used BMW, your car payment will go up and so will your insurance. I don't know how long you've had your Tib, but if I were you, I would keep the Tib, pay it off, and then save up to buy a BMW if you want still want one.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Tib Tranny vs. Elantra Tranny??!?1

If I could afford a M5, or hell any Bimmer. I'd drop the tib in a heartbeat!
Superior car overall for EVERYTHING. Drove a 328IS a few years back, and even with the upgraded suspension on my Tib. The 328IS out drove it. Was a little heavier, but performed a hellava lot better.

AND since you WORK as a tech at bimmer, you got NOTHING to worry about, and you can mod it in your own shop.

I'd DO IT
Old 01-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: I just dropped $100 on...

Like everyone said.. it all comes down to what you want. The Z4 is a hella car.. I get a case of the drools every time I see one.. I am sure I will get the same case when the M6 comes our way... Personally though, I would buy one in a second.. but only as my daily driver. They are great cars out of the box, but modifying them IS espensive and in a lot of cases, not worth the effort.

What is more fun.. dropping a few grand into a tib to bring it up to Bimmer power and handling limits.. or dropping twice that to get to porsche limits in the BMW? I agree whole heartedly with Mechanix on this. New cars seem to lack soul more and more as time goes on. This is why I keep my italian beauties around. They may be charismatic, but they are like a leather clad mistress.. you never know if they are going to smile at you that day.. or growl and make your life miserable.

If you want good looks, great performance out of the box, and prestige.. buy the Bimmer (NOT Beamer.. those are the motorcycles) if you want to have a lot of fun working on your car.. keep the tib.. or sell it and buy an older E30 M3 (they are affordable now if you can find one) or even a older 318ti.. not as light as the E30 (E36?) but with the same suspension good power AND a hatchback to boot...
Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Strut Question

I really dont care for the M Roadster either...everytime I see one driving it reminds me of like a rabid dinosaur or something lol.gif

If you're gonna do it, go for the 7 series. Why the hell not?

But I still asy keep the tib too.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX
Default Holly Shite!!!

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
What is more fun.. dropping a few grand into a tib to bring it up to Bimmer power and handling limits.. or dropping twice that to get to porsche limits in the BMW? I agree whole heartedly with Mechanix on this. New cars seem to lack soul more and more as time goes on. This is why I keep my italian beauties around. They may be charismatic, but they are like a leather clad mistress.. you never know if they are going to smile at you that day.. or growl and make your life miserable.

^^^Or they can go "today you're my b!tch," and bite you. It happens once in a while, and it does make things more fun.

The Evos are great cars man but no offense, they're not prestige/luxury cars... An Evo would be more comparable to a WRX or 350Z or something... all great cars in their own right but they're not top-end Euros... I think 1997tibby is yearning for that extra bit of class that the Bimmer offers. I could be wrong though...

The Tibby and the Bimmer started out with very different design and engineering briefs, and although the Tibby can be taken out to the same level of efficiency as say an M3 or CSL, a Bimmer will always be a Bimmer because of the whole package. In the process of reaching those levels of performance one must be very careful, or the Tibby will no longer feel like a Tibby, rather it will start to feel like a run-off--the-mill cup car retaining none of the soul it had. I made this mistake and traded in what made the car special and fun to drive for the most devastating track weapon I could afford to build, and I do regret it. It's no longer a leather-clad mistress, it's like cybersex I guess, you get the desired result but it doesnt feel real LOL! Truth to tell, I am looking for a daily driver that will make driving fun again, and thats why the other car gets relegated to the track: it's just not fun anymore.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Mitsubishi->Hyundai engine swaps??

Mechanix hit the nail on the head... "Fun to drive". You can turn ANY car into a track weapon.. Vdub used to race the air cooled Superbeetle in the Small bore TransAm series with the BMW 2002, Datsun 510, and the Alfa Guilia.. they didn't do too well.. but it was still a track car..

Would it be fun to have a tib that can lay waste to any car on the street? It would, without a doubt, but would it make the car fun to drive when you were not racing it? I really doubt it. NOBODY likes driving a hard riding, flame shooting, sputtering, and downright anti-social car day in and day out. I had one, after a year I sold it.. too much trouble, too little profit.

If a Bimmer (I would prefer the Z4.. in black please) makes you smile to drive it.. by all means buy one! I personally have been looking at the new Mini.. especially the cooper S with the Works package..

And yes Mechanix.. when my Italian cars decide to bite, it usually leaves a mark.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent

QUOTE (OzFxCoupe)
^^^^^^^^^^

I never actually though about it untill you said this, "that extra bit of class" that might be what i'm looking for. its just that BMWs are SOLID cars, i mean they handle great, amazing performace, all the little "goodies" in the car, it has the looks, and is reliable.

QUOTE (Tibbychick)
I really dont care for the M Roadster either...everytime I see one driving it reminds me of like a rabid dinosaur or something lol.gif

If you're gonna do it, go for the 7 series. Why the hell not?

because the new ones START at $80,000 for a base 745i and go up to $132,000 for a 760Li.......and one day this winter when weather is somewhat good, i'll try and gather you and some other LI people probaly up at DPA to show you my NEW ride, still got the tibby though!!