Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need Some Help With A Decision

Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 tiburon gt

so here's the thing,

i have a 98 tiburon with a list of mods done to it.
my dilema is this, i want to get rid of it and i am not sure if i should part it out and put it back to stock then try to sell it or donate it for the tax write off, or just try to sell it as is as a project car.
it does not run right(dmdicks is willing to help me on this but i am not sure if i am now willing to put the time/effort in. thanks tho!), it does have an alpine turbo setup in it that i never got running correctly. i am sure the fuel is bad at this point because it has been sitting for a while. and it needs odds and ends here and there, like a set of wires and sutch. it only has about 33,000 miles on the motor and tranny, they were replaced a few years ago. i am ofcourse trying to get the most cash i can for it so i am not sure which way to go about it.

BTW does anybody know exactly how donating a veh works as far as getting money back? would i get the whole amount its worth back or what?

mods are as follows:

js rear bumper - painted silver
high shark spoiler - painted silver
rear hatch lip - painted silver
new style or club gtr front bumper - painted silver
carbon fiber style side view mirrors with blinkers
oem style carbon fiber hood
intrax lowering springs
front strut bar - not sure which brand
rear strut bar
alpine turbo
msd dis2
FMIC
obx short shifter
shark racing z fenders - painted silver
rear altezza tail lights
obx - FPR
clear corners
shark racing white face gauges

i am sure there is more i forgot.

and a pic for reference purposes

any input or adviceis welcome and appreciated
Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I wouldn't donate it. You won't get much at all and I'm sure they wouldn't want a modified car that doesn't run smile.gif

I would part it out and take it back to stock, than it will run and will be stock again.
Make sure when you get rid of the after market parts you trade with OEM parts so you can get her back together.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Yeah, donating a turbo tiburon would not be smart.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM

i wouldn't donate it still turboed.

and i heard from a couple people at work that you get book value for the car and wasn't sure if that was true or not. thats why i was thinking about donation (after part out), but... it has to have a full body, which means after a full partout i would need to rebuy all the things i am selling, hood, fenders, bumpers etc... so still not sure if its worth it or not.

QUOTE (tanc @ Jan 2 2007, 05:40 PM)
I wouldn't donate it. You won't get much at all and I'm sure they wouldn't want a modified car that doesn't run smile.gif

I would part it out and take it back to stock, than it will run and will be stock again.
Make sure when you get rid of the after market parts you trade with OEM parts so you can get her back together.

it runs, just not the greatest. idle issue is all at this point. and i was also told that when you donate it doesn't have to run at all. but once again not sure if that is true either
Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure about the laws in your state but here, the car has to run.

Also, this is what you do if you part out. Say your are selling your hood ex.

"blah blah blah hood for sale 200$, + must come with your stock OEM hood in this color."

See, that way you get OEM stuff in return from who buys your aftermarket parts. You just have to have a reasonable price since you get something back in return as well smile.gif
Old 01-02-2007, 04:05 PM

QUOTE (tanc @ Jan 2 2007, 06:02 PM)
I'm not sure about the laws in your state but here, the car has to run.

Also, this is what you do if you part out. Say your are selling your hood ex.

"blah blah blah hood for sale 200$, + must come with your stock OEM hood in this color."
See, that way you get OEM stuff in return from who buys your aftermarket parts. You just have to have a reasonable price since you get something back in return as well smile.gif

makes perfect sense, no one needs their old stuff i guess since they are replacing it and all, but then shipping comes into play since these things are big items, unless they are local ofcourse
Old 01-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Not all items are huge.

Also how do online shops ship hoods ? LOL. Obviously some kind of deal needs to be worked out when swapping parts.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM

you should put it back to stock and sell it. as for the modified parts, sell those off, im interested in a few things smile.gif
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM

QUOTE (tanc @ Jan 2 2007, 06:21 PM)
Not all items are huge.

Also how do online shops ship hoods ? LOL. Obviously some kind of deal needs to be worked out when swapping parts.

yeah they charge like 150 for shipping of a hood, so x2 thats 300 just in shipping, soo 200 for a hood lets say plus 150 shipping for the hood to them and 150 for their hood to me that now became a $500.00 hood for somebody who wants to spend that on a used cf hood? you know what i mean it sucks, i feel like i am limited to local sales only

QUOTE (tiburon354 @ Jan 2 2007, 06:25 PM)
you should put it back to stock and sell it. as for the modified parts, sell those off, im interested in a few things smile.gif

yeah i think thats whats going to happen, so now its a matter of figuring out how much to sell everything for...
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM

what exactly are these?

msd dis2
fmic
obx- fpr

and what do the tails look like?