Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need Networking Help!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here's the deal, my work decided to put in a proxy server the other day that blocks all but a few sites, which completely chaps my ass. I mean, what do they expect us to do now when there are no customers... clean or something? So anyways, of the 20 some computers in the store, there is 1 that has complete open access to the internet without having to log onto the proxy. The rest of the computers in the store ask for log on credentials every time you pull up internet explorer or firefox, but the open access computer just opens any webpage and doesn't ask for any credentials and never has. The weird thing is, that in it's connection settings it's going through the same proxy as the rest of the computers. (10.100.201.19:3128) I know it's definitely on the same network as the other computers, because I'm able to ping it's IP. When I did a tracert to yahoo from the open access computer it definitely goes through the proxy before getting to the website. All the computers are running Windows 2000 Professional, and all have an IP starting with 192.168.154.*

Now that I think I've got out all the relevant details, I want to know if it is possible through network settings to have the open access computer retrieve the internet, and then pass the page along the network to one of the internet crippled computers. I believe that be using it as a gateway? (Or is this incorrect terminology?) I know this is all confusing as hell, so I've constructed a crude drawing to help visualize the network.

Current Setup

Prospective Setup

I'd use the open access computer all day if it wasn't in such plain sight. I can do anything to the open computer short of installing new hardware (It only has 1 RJ45 or else I'd just bridge the networks...) So I know someone out there that's computer savvy (Enter Javageek?) that can help me with this conundrum. If there's a software solution, that'd be awesome, better yet, if there's a way to do this that's built in to Windows, even better.

I'm just stumped how this 1 computer manages to get through the proxy without having to log in in the first place. I've tried mimicking its MAC, it's IP, its network ID, etc. etc.

If I left anything relevant or essential, just let me know. My Co-workers and I would greatly appreciate anyone who can solve this problem!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

the first very simple way would be to setup remote desktop on the computer that has internet, then login to it from the other computers. Windows 2000 server allows 2 connections at once by default, but i dont know about 2000 Pro.
second option could be to setup a proxy on the PC with internet, then setup the other computers to connect through that proxy.
There are other ways to make it work, you just need to be creative.
good luck
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^I believe xp is the same as 2k pro. Only one remote in and it ties up the machine.

you could use the google translation site. It's a little slow but it works. This is your safest option.

on you proxy issue. They could have this setup one of a thousand way. That could be using port security, ip's, mac address, computer name, etc. The easiest work around would be ics. You just share the internet connection on that computer. I'm never tried it with only one nic though, but it should be ok. AND DEFINENTLY make sure you don't turn on dhcp.

On the other hand I wouldn't do this. If you get caught then it'll most likely be your job. I work everyday setting up stuff like this. Just last week I took away aim from a bunch of secretaries... they were unhappy. You boss has paid someone to make you guys work, or at least take away internet, if you get caught tampering expect the boot.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. Internet connection sharing is not available with only 1 NIC. Would there be a way to emulate a second NIC on both PCs and just rerouting packets over the open PC virtual NIC to the restricted PC? Also, what are you referring to about Google translation? I'm not sure I understand. Remote desktop definitely ties up the machine, I've already tried. Our IT is a complete douche, and I doubt he'd even notice an internal packet shaping system.

- ShadyShifty
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

you could setup a switchport on the cat5 cable to the working comp...

or u could get a wireless usb adapter (i think ive seen usb to cat5 to) and use it for a network bridge

but seriously a double proxy should work just fine, and once its setup right only difference will be no login fing02.gif
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Some things to check which are controlled by the computer is 1. DNS server used. 2. proxy settings 3. software installed firewalls
Old 06-28-2007, 02:24 AM

And the struggle goes on... the easiest thing to do is find a website that has a cgi proxy on it. If anyone can get a list of some that might be "incognito" and that isnt obvious like www.myspaceproxy.com or something like that let us know wink1.gif
I'm fighting the same fight where I'm at.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

sureproxy.com is the one I use.

here's a list
http://www.echolink.org/proxylist.asp
Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 AM

Unfortunately an online proxy is out of the question for me. The proxy we have installed at work is local, and instead of blocking certain keywords like most school proxy's, it blocks all domains except about 6 or 7 that are absolutely essential to do business. In order to get yahoo (or any other site for that matter) to work, our IT has to add it to the safe list.

QUOTE (Mr. Muffin @ Jun 27 2007, 10:04 PM)
you could setup a switchport on the cat5 cable to the working comp...
or u could get a wireless usb adapter (i think ive seen usb to cat5 to) and use it for a network bridge
but seriously a double proxy should work just fine, and once its setup right only difference will be no login fing02.gif

Like I said, hardware installation is out of the question. The computer is in plain view and any hardware changes would be noticable. I like the double proxy idea, anyone know of some good software proxy that I could install on the open computer? I'm not too lazy to google it, but you guys are throwing out all kinds of stipulations, like no DHCP and since our network is static, that's going to be essential anyways.

Thanks guys, I'm really starting to get confident that I can circumvent the evil proxy!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 AM

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jun 28 2007, 02:13 PM)
sureproxy.com is the one I use.

here's a list
http://www.echolink.org/proxylist.asp

anything containing *proxy* in the URL, will be filtered.. like i said.. incognito.