Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need Help With My 360.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, just wondering if anyone has there xbox live set up wirelessly or the way i am trying to set up mine. right now i am trying to download that ZUNE software so i can use the windows media software on the xbox so i can listen to/ watch/ transfer stuff from my computer. first off, that zune software keeps looking for updates and wont install.

and then i figure, im getting wireless internet for my laptop, so i can probably somehow get xbox live working using the ethernet cable, since it would, in essence make the xbox part of the network, but i cant get it to work..

anyone have any ideas.. i want to get on xbox live, but i dont wanna have to buy a wireless adapter unless i really have to do it.

my username is socks, if i ever get on ther.e
Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Both of my 360's are hooked up wirelessly in my house. Pretty easy to do. Talking to you on IM now.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Dec 29 2006, 10:04 PM)
and then i figure, im getting wireless internet for my laptop, so i can probably somehow get xbox live working using the ethernet cable, since it would, in essence make the xbox part of the network, but i cant get it to work..

If you are using a cable, it's not wireless and you should have no problems. I just plug my cable into the 360 and it works. Do you have your router set up to have more than one computer run off of it? If you want wireless without having to buy the $100 adaptor, you'll need to buy another router and read this...
http://jakeludington.com/xbox/20060207_xbo...networking.html
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had to troubleshoot a problem like that recently on my buddy's system. he had digital phone service as well. The problem turned out to be the digital phone service router was taking priority over the standard router. You need to plug it into your digital phone router (if you have one) and enable automatic configuration.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 PM
MKE

ok, just making sure i read it right, your connected to your wireless router through your laptop, and rather then connect it directly to the router, you want to connect it to your laptop and share it's internet connection?

if so, then make sure you have the wireless connection shared and your are using a crossover network cable (not the one that comes with routers/the xbox 360).

if you've checked those, try manually assigning ip address to the laptops ethernet card and the 360. Sometimes windows will take to long to do it's own dhcp connection (169.***.***.***) and it will timeout.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 AM
DTN

^^ for some reason manually assigning IP dosn't work with that digital phone service i was working with. I assigned gateway and a subnet. It still wouldn't read the network. I tried to change the port on the router. The only soloution was to plug it into the phone router for some reason.... i know it's wierd. Computers worked fine, but digital phone router took control of xbox and had the xbox sending false info to the standard router.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 PM
MKE

it might not work correctly if the device is connected directly to the router, but he's going through his laptop. so the router never actually see's the xbox. He should have his wireless connection on dhcp, but assign ip addresses only to the lan port on the laptop and the xbox, so his laptop can see/properly communicate with the xbox without having windows jump in and use it's dhcp service that takes about 5 min. so the router is never actually seeing the xbox.

see what i'm sayin? (i'm bad at explaining things lol). he's just using his laptop as a network bridge (my next suggestion if those dont work would be to make a bridge with windows over the 2 connections)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
DTN

^^ at that point, the laptop becomes a subnet server of it's own.

It's best to use internet connection sharing instead of network bridging. I hate bridges.