Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need Advice - Orlando Vacation Ideas

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'll be going to Orlando for a conference in mid August. I'm considering taking a few extra days and turning it into a vacation.

Because of my wife's medical problems, and my personal disinterest, I don't care to hit up rollercoaster rides. I grew up at Universal Studios, Disneyland, Knott's Berryfarm, Opryland, and other themeparks... been there done that.
So... What else?

It's my first time to Orlando, so treat me as if I know nothing about the city or location.

Current Plans:
Saturday/Sunday - see the immediate area, shopping, landmarks, etc. via taxi
Sunday - Tuesday - Conference @ J.W. Marriott. Not a lot of time to do anything else.
Tues. night - ???? - Change hotels to be closer to the 'action'

[*]Is there a central location I should use for booking the hotel?[*]Do I need to get a rental car for Wednesday - whenever?[*]What are top spots I should consider? Space Center worthwhile or a bust?[*]Beaches reasonable?[*]Downtown / nightlife hotspots? Dinner? Popular strip with bars/entertainment?[*]Things to avoid?[/list]
    I considered Sea World, but paying $150 just to see animals seems a little blah. Anything less than our honeymoon two years ago would be a disappointment, since we went scuba diving and snorkeling with sting rays and sea turtles.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well for Saturday/ Sunday I would definitely hit up I-drive (Internation drive) and stop by Pointe Orlando, it's a nice mall there plus they have a place called Wonderworks (Its and up-sidedown building with a bunch of science exhibitions... kinda cool.) and if I remember correctly their is a Ripley's believe it or not a little bit down the road.

As for the beaches well they are about an hour or 2 East/West. I personally would go to a beach on the West coast. I grew up in Miami and now live in Tampa and by far the West coast beaches are much nicer. So if you want to go to the beach then obviously you would want a rental car at this point. However, if you really want to visit the Space center then obviously kill two birds with one stone and go to an East coast beach.

Orlando does have some pretty run down areas but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to avoid them......

I doubt this will top your honeymoon because that sounds really cool but I'm sure with a little more research you can turn it into something fun.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

I'm not really concerned with it 'beating' my honeymoon trip. We were on an island, and did a lot of water activities and animal stuff, so that's my reason for having doubts with Sea World.

With the beach being an hour or more away, we might not do that.

Thanks for the input!! I'll write those down
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

My wife and I enjoyed Downtown Disney last time we were down in Orlando. There is a Planet Hollywood if you haven't been to one before. House of Blues seemed like a pretty cool place, next time we go there we are going to check it out.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinati...owntown-disney/
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM

^^^
I was just thinking about recommending Downtown Disney lol

Definitely not a bad place to check out.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

dowtown disney no longer has pleasure island-... (to the best of my knowledge)!!!! so if you're looking to try any clubs in downtown disney they're prolly gone.

i'd recomend finding a small comedy club in the area-... unless you don't enjoy laughing, you're bound to have a great time!

another great place to go in poite orlando is howl at the moon! if you're not familiar-... it's an informal piano bar where they will play ANY thing you can throw at them.

medieval times is also supposed to be aweome from what i've heard. same w/ arabian nights which is also in the general area.

kennedy space center has a lot of history and fun facts behind it so i would spend some time there.

hotels in that area are a dime a dozen-... just check hotels.com i know they have some awesome deals on suites.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM

Don't listen to 01Steve he's never left the small town he lives in...... nana.gif j/p

Since it's summer you might want to check out a water park... I would give wet n wild a shot.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I've been to Howl at the Moon in Chicago, so I'll probably hit up the one in Orlando
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i dont know if they do tours, but you could go to tiburon entertainment (yes, that is the name). it is the design studio that renders al the GFX for the jon madden football series on x-box,playstation, etc.

if you are interested i can get more info. A guy i went to high school with is one of the main GFX designers for that game.

edit, just went to their website, he no longer works there.