Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Need adivise!!!!

Old 09-29-2001, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need adivise!!!!

k, i found a '97 accent with 50k miles 5spd with ac for $2900. BUT, it is a salvaged car. i talked to some east indian guy on the phone said he bought it from the insurance company for his son and fixed it in his body shop. his son said it was a chick car (JACKA$$) and he wants to sell. what do you guys think???? i could probably nock it down to 2700 or 2600. but what is your view on salvaged cars??? thanks
Old 09-29-2001, 10:29 AM

iono about that. i suspect this car had some major structural damage that may be dangerous if you get in an accident in it. i would look at the salavage title. it should give you an idea of what happened to the car. in the best case scenario the car was just an insurance write off due to massive body (not structural) damage. either way i wouldn't pay that much for the car.
Old 09-29-2001, 01:00 PM

Get a salvage inspection from an independant inspector and also have a mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb. You may pay a couple hundred for these services but " Better safe than sorry".
Old 09-29-2001, 10:27 PM

Where can i find an "independent inspector"???
Old 09-30-2001, 04:40 AM

I bought my '96 Accent with 57,000 miles for $2,480. It was not a salvaged car. Generally speaking I would stay away from anything with a salvage title unless you are getting it dirt cheap. Paying a couple of hundred dollars for those services kind of defeats the purpose of saving a couple of hundred dollars on the car. I would have to say keep looking and but I have not seen the car.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:12 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

Originally posted by AUTOBOT:
. Generally speaking I would stay away from anything with a salvage title unless you are getting it dirt cheap.

Or if you're using it for a "weekend warrior" like I'm trying to find .
Old 09-30-2001, 11:42 AM

damn, that hella cheap autobot. did it take you a long time to find or did you just open the newspaper one day and get lucky??? No its not a "weekend warrior" it's for my ol' lady, and i want it to be safe as possible. im trying to get her into the whole import seen, so im thinkin after i get her the car slap a couple of mods on there and she ditches the POS old ass honda she'll be my lil racin' mamma

im thinkin about going down, (bout an hour drive) and checkin it out and snaggin the VIN # and seeing what kind of info carfax.com can give me. has any1 ever used this site b4??? hopefully it'll give me a lil insight.

i also heard that you cant get full insurance coverage and it cost you a fat grip of cash if you want to license a salvaged vehicle. any1 know if this is true???
Old 09-30-2001, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by clownboy:
im thinkin about going down, (bout an hour drive) and checkin it out and snaggin the VIN # and seeing what kind of info carfax.com can give me. has any1 ever used this site b4??? hopefully it'll give me a lil insight.

i also heard that you cant get full insurance coverage and it cost you a fat grip of cash if you want to license a salvaged vehicle. any1 know if this is true???

The carfax report will be a good idea. You can also get a good idea as to the shape of the car by cralwing under it. Wear grubby clothes and bring a flashlight. Crawl under the car and give the frame a good once over. Any place it is not straight, or is welded...pass on the car.

Call your insurance company...see what info they can dig up on the car, and what THEY have to say about a salvaged title.

Chances are...for under $3000, the body shop didn't do much to it. I suggest you look elsewhere. Your girls life is worth a lot more than the $500 you may save on this car.
Old 09-30-2001, 05:01 PM

Nope one of the members from Hyundaiperformance found it for me

He is a buddy of mine in Savannah and he found it for me before I moved.