Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

My poor car

Old 12-19-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default My poor car

This happened Wednesday. Let's just say that I had a "brake problem" and we skidded and ended up in the weeds. Luckily, I and the other people in the car were uninjured. Unfortunately, I can't say the same to my car. My hood does not want to close properly, the alignment's screwed up, the front suspension is probably now pretty f*cked, 3 out of 4 tires were flat and one of my wheels is toast. Miraculously, the bumper did not shatter and is probably still repairable and we did not fall down the creek.

Luckily I had my camera on me and took a few shots. See them here.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

the tires are probably flat due to the large kerb there. They are also probably bent/cracked.

Yeah, that same kerb probably did some suspension damage. Since your hood doesn't want to close, and is mis aligned, I'd say you also did some damage to the front frame/strut towers.

Wish I had better news for ya dude.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:49 AM

lantraluvr:
This happened Wednesday. Let's just say that I had a "brake problem" and we skidded and ended up in the weeds.
Brake problem huh?

Dimly lit street + high speed maneuvers on stock wheels and tires = Hyundai in the weeds with damage galore.

Next time hit the brakes before you start racing or stunt driving or whatever you was doing.

Glad that you are ok. The car can be fixed.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Red

Other than what Hootie mentioned, I must also agree with Random. I was run off the road several years ago and hopped a four inch curb (not unlike the one in your picture) with only my front driver tire...

Car was in the shop for 34 days. Cost the insurance about $3500 to repair most of that corner suspension package (strut, spring was broken, A-arm was bent, axle was bent, wheel hub was damaged, transmission housing had a huge crack in it, etc) plus straighten the frame and replace the wheel and tire.

That was only ONE tire that hopped the curb.... All four of yours hopped it, which means probably both front corner suspension packages are replaced, the frame is surely bent since your hood is whacked, and I bet both rear trailing arms and even perhaps more are bent too.

Baad news...
Old 12-20-2002, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Well, my bro drove the car home after pulling it out and replacing 3 tires. He said that the handling was sh*tty. The engine still is running fine, though. The radiator went up slightly, so maybe that's why the hood didn't want to close. Miraculously, only one wheel was cracked.

Those suspension components... maybe I'll just replace them with aftermarket parts. And I'll need bigger brakes, and larger wheels.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:21 AM

lantraluvr:
Well, my bro drove the car home after pulling it out and replacing 3 tires. He said that the handling was sh*tty. The engine still is running fine, though. The radiator went up slightly, so maybe that's why the hood didn't want to close. Miraculously, only one wheel was cracked.

Those suspension components... maybe I'll just replace them with aftermarket parts. And I'll need bigger brakes, and larger wheels.
You could be setting yourself up the bomb if you don't have EVERYTHING checked out. Yes, it will cost a bit but it will save you from trouble down the road. If the radiator moved then you should check the mounting and hoses. Handling just doesn't involve suspension but the frame itself. If the frame is bent you car will always handle shi**y.

Care to elaborate on just how this all came about?