Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

My Latest Project

Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I just thought I would show you the latest project I am working on. This is kind of like a lojack but has more uses.

http://mikewren.com/n2qdk-9

After I do my install I will do a DIY if anyone is interested.

You can go to this site and track where your vehicle is or see if there are any operators in your area.

http://aprs.fi/?

Total cost is around $350 for the radio, GPS, and interface. You can go cheaper or much more expensive, depends on how you go about it. One requirement though is you need to have your Technician Class Amateur Radio License.

Disclaimer: Please do not think you can do this without getting a license. Licensed amateurs will be able to find you and they will report you to the FCC. A violation incurs up to a $10,000 fine for illegal transmissions. If you need help getting your license ask and I will provide links and study material. Licensing costs $16 and the test is 35 questions from a 400 question pool that is publicly released.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

THAT'S AWESOME!! Very nice insurance policy to have for any vehicle. I assume you can move it out of your vehicle pretty easy?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Yeah, it all depends on how you mount it. Some people just mount it in the trunk in a crate and then move it from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Where would you mount it in a tib?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM

If you wanted to make it portable run the power and ground wires into the trunk and mount the radio and interface in a 8"8" box and Velcro it to the floor. Me personally I am going to mount the radio underneath my car stereo and the interface in the center console.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM

I mounted my radio yesterday. The one I got was a little bigger than I thought it was going to be so I had to compromise and mount it on the glovebox door. It doesn't interfere too much with the passengers leg room, but I rarely carry passengers in it anyways. The last component I need will be here by Thursday so I will have my tracking setup by Friday.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

For the RD2 Java? Great idea. Im going to put something similar in mine whether its Lojack or whatever.

Will you get an insurance discount?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM

I'm not sure if a discount would be available or not. Seems like you would though if you asked. Something else that is possible with something like this, although it would take a lot of electronics tinkering is integrating a remote disabler. You would need another radio to send a DTMF command to trigger a relay or something like that. I just know thought of that, I may have to look into it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Def a neat project. May be worth to get a radio license. Seeing as its portable and don't need to have it installed in every car. Now if someone were to hot wire the car would there be risk of damage to the electronics, surge or such?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM

I doubt it will. If you wanted to just have a tracker in your car you could get something like this MicroTrak and just stick it in your trunk. It operates for 8 days on 8 AA batteries. Rig up a circuit to run off the cars power when it is plugged in or get a small solar panel to stick on the shelf. There are a lot of options available.