Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

My Car Is Back On The Road!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My battery hasn't been charging properly since February... the month before we completed the automatic to manual swap. I thought there was a direct correlation, and it seems there may have been.

I know VERY little about electronics. I had the battery recharged... I replaced the atlernator with a brand new one... no change.

My wife's uncle came over... he's awesome with electrical stuff and does it for a living. He realized there was no ground from the engine block (he connected a ground wire from the engine block to the battery, and suddely the voltage spikes).

There's a bolt, on the driver's side of the block. We traced a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to a 17mm bolt on the engine block that was somehow loose... VERY loose. I tightened that bolt down (hard to do, right next to shifter stuff)... as soon as I did, the battery started charging again!!!

A SIMPLE GROUNDING PROBLEM TO THE ENGINE BLOCK!!! ARGHHH!!!!!!

oh, and my brake light... the switch was bad. I swapped it out, car is PERFECT now!!!

majik = happy little fricker
Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 PM

hahaha, i know how annoying it is when something that simple is the cause, but im glad it WAS that simple and you got your car working right again laugh.gif
Old 09-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Well atleast your car is nback on the road... you slack ass jk
Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

congrats man!!! glad you saved yourself a bunch of money. and it feels soooo good to have the everything working properly right? gets rid of a lot of stress and your life completely changes.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ahhh, your probably talking about the bolt on the top of the bellhousing, anyone who swaps trannys or clutches has to be weary about this, thatll do it.

Good stuff mang.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I drove it to church and lunch and back home (about 70 miles roundtrip). NO problems... stayed between 13.8 and 14.3 volts the entire trip, even with headlights on and Two 15" subs pounding. I missed my bass, my car, my comfy seats....

only problem is that the A/C isn't cold, at all. It doesn't seem like the condenser is even kicking on. Maybe it just needs to be charged... but with a high of 80 degrees and no humidity, I don't need A/C cool.gif
Old 09-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's usually simple stuff. After swapping the engine in my wife's z24 it wouldn't startup and we worked on it for a few hours, plugs/wires, etc. Ended up being a single plug on the front of the block I'd missed. (I think it was oil pressure) Apparently the car doesn't get spark if it's not plugged in.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

only problem is that the A/C isn't cold, at all. It doesn't seem like the condenser is even kicking on. Maybe it just needs to be charged... but with a high of 80 degrees and no humidity, I don't need A/C

i have the same ----ing problem with my car right after the swap. i never use A/C but it would be nice to know it works well.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

the condenser does kick on, just not cooling properly. Anyone have any ideas? Fans work too
Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I bet it feels great to have the tib working again! fing02.gif