Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

MP3 Player for PalmOS

Old 12-28-2001, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 Player for PalmOS

I received a Sony Clie 710 for Christmas. It's swank in that it has audio-out capabilities, which makes it a prime candidate to replace my aging and moody Rio 300 that never wants to work. The handheld came with audio software called OpenMG. It's alright...it looks like it could conceivably work, but I haven't been able to make it get along with the memory stick yet. In addition, it seems to have all manner of copyright-overprotecting and watermarking enforcements in place, none of which my current MP3 files have (they were ripped using software of long ago, back when people were allowed to do as they wished with their music).

SO...long post short...I'm wondering if anyone is aware of alternative means to play MP3s on my Palm. Winamp doesn't have a PalmOS version out. I haven't really been able to find much, so I figured I would ask around here.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:08 AM

Palm Gear
Old 12-28-2001, 10:13 AM

I have the 610 Clie and I love it very much. The problem I had with mp3 plyaers and Palms are that the Palm isn't a good mp3 player in means of quality and reliability. Do you have a Sony memory stick in your Clie? You shouldn't put any mp3's into the main internal RAM because it does pose sync problems. Also because the Clie uses memory sticks...I have found it to load too slow. Thats why I opted for a 610 non mp3 version compared to the 710 mp3 and used the money and bought myself the best mp3 player in the market. Nomad II MG. I bought a Nomad Jukebox and I sold it in a month. I didn't like it at all because the OS on that thing was too slow, it needed to boot up to start, bulky, and ate too much batteries(4x AA NiMH 1800 mA!!) too fast. The problem probably is with much of your 'copyrighting' problems is you could be using from the memory stick. The Sony Magic Gate memory sticks have a copyright encrytion thing that really lacks any purpose but just annoys you. The main reason WinAMP and other mp3 software companies can't make superb mp3 software is also because of Palm's processor. Its just a 33mhz Motorola Dragonball.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

I'm still using a CD player I've had since 8th grade. It plays CD-R/RW so I don't care.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:05 PM

I've gotten it all working, and I like it A LOT so far! I have a friend with some connexions that I was able to get some 128MB memory sticks at-cost from, so I'm swimmin' in songs right now. A VAST improvement over my Rio 300, which had 32MB internal memory and a limitation of 32MB as the largest external SmartMedia card you could put into the external bay. rolleyes.gif