Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Moving To Sc- Need Opinions

Old 05-06-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are moving to the Charleston, SC area at the beginning of June. I was wondering if anyone from the area could tell me which places are better than others to live in. We are currently looking at an apartment complex in North Charleston, so we were just wondering how the area stacked up against other areas.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

dunno.... I'm moving there myself to columbia. Fort Jackson is my next duty station. I've heard it's nice down there. It's hot and humid though. Good to see other people are going to be in the same area.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I've heard some sketchy things about Charleston. I'll ask my GM to take a look around while she's down there for a trade show.

She's the one that actually mentioned to me that there were some very bad areas. I know that the historic district isn't too bad. But hey, I'm in Canadia.......... What do I know.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM

well, Charleston has been voted the most friendly city in the us many many times.. so perhaps they will be polite while they mug you?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:05 PM

^^^ LOL. We did some more searching and found out that North Charleston is ranked #22 out the nation's top 25- most dangerous cities to live. I think we will look other places, maybe Mt. Pleasant or Summerville. Anyway, this should be an adventure since we really have no money to visit different apartment complexes before we actually move. I just hope everything works out well!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Cool, something I can talk about. lmao.gif

I live in Mount Pleasant. I have lived here in the Charleston Area all of my life and let me tell you that the only downside to this area is the traffic.

2 and 3 bedroom apartments around here can get pricey. In some cases it's better to rent a house than an apartment.

Mount Pleasant is cool. Expect to pay a bit more over here. I have been here for the past 16 and a half years.

Summerville is growing rapidly but there are some beautiful landscapes out there. You have most of the plantations closer over there. If you like the sticks, go here or over to Moncks Corner or Goose Creek.

You can find a lot of places in North Charleston. Especially apartments. The hype about dangerous.....some is true, the other is like I said....hype.

Downtown is alright. I can't stand the traffic though, but all of them college chicks around there is a wonderful sight. Best place to shop during the day (Market Street) or party at night (Market Street).

Check out The Post and Courier for rental classifieds.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The beaches. Front Beach on the Isle of Palms. Sullivans Island and Folly Beach. Minutes away from either.

I live two miles from Sullivans Island beach. Walking distance.

smile.gif
fing02.gif
Old 05-06-2006, 10:36 PM

I lived in Summerville for 8 years, in Quail Arbor. That area has grown so fast I barely recognize it now.

It's effing hot, the humidity is killer and the water tastes like swamp. Can't say I miss it.

I guess that's not much help. cool.gif
Old 05-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Actually for 2005, Charleston isnt even on the most dangerous city list. Sometimes those lists are all hype..but I know for a fact that the #1 most dangerous city..Camden, NJ, is bad lol.

Good luck with everything, sorry I cant help out more!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I live in Mount Pleasant, too and pretty much everyting jmn822000 said is spot on. Mt. P. is gonna be expensive N. Char. is less so, but some areas aren't that great, you just have to check it out. A friend of mine just bought a house in Summerville and it's a good area, but it's growing pretty fast and property values are growing too. Anyway, hope ya like the area. I love it. Maybe we could get a small meet together sometime.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:09 AM

QUOTE (SwiftTiburon @ May 7 2006, 01:29 AM)
I know for a fact that the #1 most dangerous city..Camden, NJ, is bad lol.

I was in Camden this afternoon, dropping off my SSAutochrome headers to Double_A. Great guy, shame he did not bring his tib. Anyway, we got to see a car chase. Three cops chasing a guy in a white ford pickup.. On my way out of Camden, they had caught him a couple of miles down the road, had his fat arse laying in the middle of the road on his side, handcuffed tightly.