Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Millennials lack basic survival skills

Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata
Default Millennials lack basic survival skills

I'm actually surprised some of the responses were as high as they were. 44% have never been camping; I would have thought it was higher.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/749...ow-Bear-Grylls

A survey shows millennials are missing out on practical skills such as map reading or fishing, compared to their grandparents’ generation.

More than half of young adults were unable to tie a single knot and 40 per cent had never swum in open water, despite Britain being an island nation.

The poll, conducted ahead of the London Boat Show, found simple life skills have been left behind with advances in technology.

Researchers also found that most people under the age of 44 prefer to use Google Maps and Sat Navs to get around, but half of over-55s stick to a paper street map.

Just a third of the 2,000 surveyed know how to spark a flame by natural means, with less than a third having caught their own fish or seafood.

Those born before 1950 were also three times more likely to be able to tie a sheepshank knot compared with those born in the 1990s. And the survey also revealed that 44 per cent have never actually been camping.

A London Boat Show spokeswoman said: “Despite the rise of TV shows such as I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here and Bear Grylls: Born Survivor, young people lack basic survival skills such as building a fire or catching food.”
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

As the population continues to become more urban this is not a surprise.

I'm not concerned, I'll do just fine in a disaster.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

what's crazy is how many folks cant find their way home without gps.

places where they have been many times yet still have to gps the route.

no basic sense of direction anymore.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Sadly I'm part of the Millennial Generation (born '91) but I think I'll be fine in case of a disaster. I'm an Eagle Scout, so I've been camping many many times, know how to start a fire from scratch, basic knots etc....

Tell me about it Faith. My best friend uses his GPS for damn near every place he goes. I decided a few years ago I'd make him turn it off every time I'm in his car. He's gotten a little better, he can navigate to a friends house in another town now, but who knows what he'd do if he had to take a detour with or without detour signs lol. I wouldn't be surprised if he used it to get himself to work and back everyday.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

My brother is 7 years younger than me, making him a millennial.

We have lived together for almost a year and we work at the same place.

He still uses GPS to get to and from work.