Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Microsoft To Put Voice-activation Software In Hyundais

Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/technolo...f=worldbusiness

This doesn't say it will be included in the Genesis, but they fact that their plans are to have it implemented in 2010 seems to make me think the Genesis would be THE CAR to get it.

It seems that Hyundai is working hard to get Hyundai to lead the industry with the most advanced technology. With the turbro coupe, and the 17 speaker Lexicon sound system and now Microsoft Auto voice-activated software... Hyundai is making big steps to catch up and pull ahead.

-------Article-------

May 6, 2008
Microsoft to Put Voice-Activation Software in Hyundais
By JOHN R. QUAIN
Microsoft is expected to announce Tuesday in Seoul, South Korea, that it will develop a version of its Microsoft Auto software for the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, the world’s fifth-largest automaker.

Microsoft already has a deal with the Ford Motor Company for its Sync system, which uses voice activation technology to operate cellphones and play digital music.

With both Ford and Hyundai as customers, Microsoft’s software could potentially be put into more than eight million vehicles worldwide each year. Its competitors include OnStar from General Motors, Johnson Controls and QNX Software Systems from Harman International.

Systems based on Microsoft Auto are available in Fiat Group vehicles in Europe and South America, as well as in 12 Ford models in North America.

Microsoft Auto will first appear in Hyundai vehicles in North America in 2010, said Martin Thall, general manager of Microsoft’s automotive business unit. Subsequent versions will give drivers voice control over navigation systems and video entertainment, in addition to cellphones and digital music players.

The Hyundai deal suggests that Microsoft may be achieving the critical mass it needs to encourage other companies to create links to its auto software, in much the same way that third parties create software applications to run on Windows-based PCs.

With millions of potential users, G.P.S. navigation device makers like TomTom and Garmin may start developing software for their products specifically for Ford and Hyundai.

“Microsoft is certainly raising their level of involvement and their competitiveness in the automotive industry,” said Phil Magney, an analyst at the Telematics Research Group. “It makes it one of the top operating systems that automakers must consider in developing their ‘infotainment’ systems.”

Details of the Hyundai deal were not available Monday. But Mr. Magney noted that revenue from the automotive systems was minuscule compared with other areas of Microsoft’s business.

So the goal of becoming the software standard for cars is largely strategic, creating new ways to align the company’s various products. One possible example would be using its online mapping and traffic prediction software, called Clearflow, in future versions of Microsoft Auto.

Microsoft Auto has been exclusive to Ford in North America, but that agreement ceases at the end of the year.

“But we still have plans for future versions with Ford” of the Sync system, Mr. Thall said. “It’s an ongoing relationship.”

It also brings the company full circle. Before Microsoft was founded, one of Bill Gates’s early endeavors was Traf-O-Data, a company that computerized traffic counters in the early ’70s.

An earlier version of this article published online referred incorrectly to the Microsoft software system that will be adapted for use by the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group. It is Microsoft Auto, not Windows Automotive or Microsoft Automotive.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

sweet!! the microsoft sync stuff is in chevy now right?

edit: nope ford
http://www.syncmyride.com/
I still can't believe they changed the name of the ford 500 to Taurus...

I wonder how long till the sync os is available for us diy types.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

lol did you read the article? It's in 12 Ford vehicles

QUOTE (majikTib @ May 6 2008, 04:38 PM)
Systems based on Microsoft Auto are available in Fiat Group vehicles in Europe and South America, as well as in 12 Ford models in North America.

Microsoft Auto has been exclusive to Ford in North America, but that agreement ceases at the end of the year.

“But we still have plans for future versions with Ford” of the Sync system, Mr. Thall said. “It’s an ongoing relationship.”

Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM

eh, not really... Kinda boring. I just skimmed your bolded areas.

edit:
great news for hyundai though. That'll be a major selling point in a couple years
Old 05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

my Nissan has voice activated controls. Many cars do, but I think Microsoft will be leading the market in a few years with more advanced features. Maybe you can use your cell phone to call the car to start it, so it's warmed up by the time you leave the house. (KITT FTW!)

I know Microsoft is investing in Satellite technology, maybe we'll see something big in the next 3 years
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM

true true, its really impressive how fast new technology can move when it's the right time. The cultural landscape can change very quickly. Just think how prolific texting is and it only started getting really popular.. 5 years ago? However I still think it blows. Or voip. Just a couple years has made it way more mainstream.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haha, Majik I thought this was a "accent returns to rallying" thread.

I think it's great news because Hyundai has put on its "le smoking" and it's an incredible achievement for them. I have to agree with you that it will probably meet its sales figures but I have not and never see any XG350 or Azeras driving around because they just don't compare to any used BMW or New Nissan Altima/New Camry for the same price.

remember what we were talking about GM vehicles? Ford have that on star system they have implemented that got customers convinced so this would be great news for the company. I think it's the next step forward in making history to include the latest technology to keep the company moving forward.

It's a great thing Hyundai vehicles is reaching out so far as to attract to a massive overlord such as Bill Gates (or rather Bill Gates attracted to Hyundai) but you know i don't like to have Ford and Hyundai in the same line in the same sentence.

The Genesis will likely have moved a step up, but in 2010 and 11 BMW will be another step ahead as well. Of course I have absolutely no problem putting BMW and Hyundai in the same sentence. Overall though +1 from me.

...by the way Macintosh all the way.