Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Man sues airline for having to sit next to obese passengers

Old 05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
mYu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Man sues airline for having to sit next to obese passengers

I'm sure many of us thought about it.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/05/man-sue...ht-passengers/

An Australian man has leveled a broadside against American Airlines — for seating him next to two plump passengers on a 14-hour flight, an ordeal he claims left him with permanent injuries.

Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, said the airline refused to allow him to change seats, leaving him “crouching, kneeling, bracing or standing” for much of the flight from Sydney to Los Angeles, the Sydney Daily Telegraph reported.

He said his squashed position by the window during the long flight worsened his scoliosis — or spinal curvature — and caused lower and upper back injuries as well as neck bruising.

The Wollongong resident is suing the airline and seeking more than $100,000 in damages.

American Airlines told The Post in a statement: “We just received the lawsuit and we are reviewing the allegations.”

The Boeing 777 took off from Sydney on Dec. 28, 2015, with all 310 seats occupied, the airline said.

“I don’t hold any malice towards the people in the seats next to me — they’d paid for a ticket too,” he told the paper. “The airline could have put me in a crew seat or moved people around but they did nothing.”

His attorney said the wide-body case could lead to a push for airlines to make their economy class more comfortable.

“If Michael is successful, this throws open the doors to potentially a large amount of cases against airlines and how they’ve designed their seating and how they seat passengers,” Thomas Janson said. “There will be a huge outcry against the way airlines furnish their cabins, particularly in economy.”
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I hope he makes at least one decimal place worth more money than that. The only way the airlines are going to stop forcing healthy-weight people to share a quarter of their personal space with tubs of lard is if it hurts them financially not to do.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I agree with it. He paid for a full seat, not a percentage of one. The other two paid for 1 seat, stole more than that, and the airline allowed it.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '12 Boston Red Veloster

If you have ever had to sit next to an overweight person on a plane, it's pure misery.