Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Man Returns $98,000 He Found in Desk Purchased on Craigslist

Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Man Returns $98,000 He Found in Desk Purchased on Craigslist

http://mashable.com/2013/11/11/craigslist-money/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9EYqPwAgLk

Shopping for a desk on Craigslist, a Rabbi from Connecticut got more than he bargained for — much more.

Noah Muroff paid less than $200 for the desk, according to WTNH News. When it wouldn't fit through his office door, he and his wife began to dissemble the desk in hopes of squeezing it through. That's when Muroff noticed behind one of the drawers a plastic shopping bag containing $98,000.

Muroff is a high school Rabbi at Yeshiva of New Haven, according to what appears to be his LinkedIn profile.

"Right away, my wife and I sort of looked at each other, and we said, 'We can't keep this money,'" Muroff said.

The couple called the desk's original owner and returned the money, WTNH reports. The original owner, who sounded speechless in WTNH's video, apparently hid her inheritance in the desk and forgot about it.

Vos Iz Neias, an orthodox Jewish news blog, posted a photo of a thank-you note the desk's owner sent to Muroff. It reads:

I can not thank you enough for your honesty and integrity. I do not think there are too many people in this world that would have done what you did by calling me. I do like to believe that there are still good people left in this crazy world we live in. You certainly are one of them.

Check out the video embedded above for more.

Not gonna lie...I seriously dont think I would have been able to do what that guy did but props to him for returning it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

She should have at least gave the guy and his family a couple grand IMO. I would have. Basically she lost that money.

I agree, I would have seriously thought about keeping it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

"hey, yeah hi, this is the guy that just bought your desk. did you leave anything unusual inside? Like anything. No? Ok, have a nice life."
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

"Don't know" if you would keep it?

You people are lying to yourselves. There is no way I'd return it.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by Stocker
"hey, yeah hi, this is the guy that just bought your desk. did you leave anything unusual inside? Like anything. No? Ok, have a nice life."

This,

I have a very hard time believing someone could forget about a life savings.... It sounds like he told her WAY to much information, and she made something up on the spot. I would have contacted them, asked where they got it from ect. But I think he might have just gotten taken advantage of.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Maybe ask where the desk came from. Say you saw something interesting in it, and want to talk to the previous owner of the desk. If they don't recall leaving anything inside AND it was somebody else's a long time ago, take the cash with a clear conscience.

OF COURSE if you say you found money suddenly they will 'remember' where it came from!