Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Man does not eat for 382 days

Old 10-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 3.8 Genesis
Default Man does not eat for 382 days

Holy crap! I didn't think it was possible to live past 2-3 weeks without food.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...203543245.html

Most people can survive without food for at least a few weeks, maybe a bit longer. Eventually, however, starvation kills.

Yet the limits on how long people can go without eating are complicated; without water people are unlikely to last a week, but the amount of time starvation takes can vary drastically.

Take the story of Angus Barbieri. For 382 days, ending July 11, 1966, the then-27-year-old Scotsman ate nothing.

There's limited documentation of Barbieri's fast: there are a few old newspaper stories recounting his ordeal and more convincingly, there's a case report describing the experience that his doctors published in the Postgraduate Medical Journal in 1973.

According to that report, Barbieri had walked into the University Department of Medicine at the Royal Infirmary of Dundee, Scotland, more than a year before, looking for help. He was "grossly obese" at the time, according to his doctors, weighing 456 pounds. The doctors put him on a short fast, thinking it would help him lose some weight, though they didn't expect him to keep it off.

But as days without food turned into weeks, Barbieri felt eager to continue the program. Absurd and risky as his goal sounded — fasts over 40 days were and still are considered dangerous — he wanted to reach his "ideal weight," 180 pounds. So he kept going.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I bet Faith's mom could go for two years...
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There are at least two people I know of who have gone in excess of a year without eating much. One guy with support from his medical team, one guy specifically against medical advice. Both lost a full person-weight of fat during that time. This is a thing that can be done, but it is SUPER dangerous to just DIY without doctors' advice!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I went over a month. It was actually really interesting. You get used to it. I actually had a lot more energy but a lot less endurance.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I went a month on only Powerade and water. That wasn't intentional. I was on beta-blockers. Turns out, I'm allergic. I developed a condition called "beta-blocker blues". My heart rate was down to 25 bpm. I had no energy and no appetite. I would get out of bed, walk to the fridge for a Powerade, walk back to bed and be exhausted. Ended up in the hospital for a week. Lost 30 Lbs (about 15% of my weight).