Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Looking To Get A Sport Bike

Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright guys, as the title says, I am looking to get a sport bike/crotch rocket, whatever you want to call it.

I am eyeballing the Kawasaki Ninja 250 right now, for it's the only 250 I can seem to find.

And before anybody asks, NO, I don't want a 500, or a 600, or anything bigger then a 250.

I am wanting a small bike for cheap price, best MPG, and the least amount of power so i dont go and kill myself.

So who all currently makes a 250? Or who used to? I can't find any, but then again I am still searching around, and still liable to find something eventually.

Let me know guys......THANKS!!!

Well, it didn't seem to let me edit my post

Soooooooooooo......

Also, It seems there is a Ninja 250R, and a 250EX.

What is the difference? I ain't seeing any, then again I know nothing about bikes.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

the lure of a sport bike has killed many a young father, think about that one for a second.

I'm not saying "don't go get one", but it seems to me you have not done much thinking about this purchase. smaller bikes, have less power, true, but are lighter also to boot which in terms of traction is a double edged sword. they also have smaller tires in terms of contact patch.

don't skimp on ANY protective gear whatsoever. a good glove that has a double stitched palm, knuckle protection, and wrist support is a good start. average price on a good set is 150.

helmet of course. I have a full flip up face design that is great. the main idea of this is you dont have to take this off when you have to talk to someone like the cashier at a gas station when you are paying for gas. that means, you dont have to take it off, leave it on your head. My HJC Sy-max ran me 250 and worth every penny.

some kind of spine protection, either a jacket that has it built in or a simple piece that you wear like a backpack. I have the latter of the models and damn glad i have it since having my wreck last year.

last of all, motorcycle safety training. I dont mean what the state offers either. talk to your insurance company about this, they will know what i am talking about. it is usually a weekend course that you take. it can give you a discount on your insurance yes, but the main aspect of it is just more in depth training for newer riders.

in one way or another, you are going to lay it down. it might be from a soccer mom on her cell phone, slick streets, kid running into the street, anything, but be prepared safety wise. if you are, it means the difference sometimes form getting up and walking it off to going off in a stretcher and being "another statistic".

two more questions...

have far is your trip to work every day?

why not a cruiser style 250 like a honda rebel? trust me, even that size a cruiser style is cheaper insurance wise compared to sport bike wise and since you are looking at this for saving money, who gives a damn what you looks like. hell, even a honda reflex 250 scooter is a damn comfy ride, and the same price. you can also carry more or even go get some groceries for the wife and kiddos if need be, cant do that on a crotch rocket.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

I have an EX250. Alex01Tib has one also. its a good starter bike, thats for sure. but i'm so bored with it it's not even funny. The Honda Rebel is even smaller. A coworker of mine has one and it's just tiiiiiiiny. i'd go with the Kawasaki. it just looks better.

other than those 2, i can't think of many makers that produce a 250. They're okay bikes... but you'll get bored w/ it real quick
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

people have asked me if i get bored with my scooter sparty but i tell them i can drive to work and around town to get needed items for two weeks on a tank of gas.

that is 1 gallon of gas,lol.

now that i have thought about a bit, ive been bored with it. but if go anyway, i'll just get a 125cc scoot and add a 172cc big bore kit from malossi and still get 80 to 85 miles/gal.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I just bought a new 08 yamaha r6s about a month ago. It's wicked fun, and I do wear a nice joe rocket jacket, leather gloves, and a full-face hjc helmet every time I ride it. I get 50 mpg riding it rather slowly compared to most people on 600's that do wheelies and 150 mph pulls, lol. I don't really see myself ever wanting to do wheelies and that dumb shyt that gets people killed. And it can/will get you hurt or killed if you don't respect it.

I was looking into getting the kawasaki 500r or 250 as well, but was told I would get really bored with it in about a week from my friends with bikes, so I opted to get something that is in the smaller range of fast sport bikes with hopes of not getting hurt, but still having a lot of fun years later.

I say go for it, the gas savings alone would be worth it over a couple of years. But the honda rebel would'nt be a bad idea for more storage (there is virtually NONE on a sport bike unless you wear a backpack or strap things down to the back seat).

And you should be able to find those 250's for at or less than 3000 used on craigslist, usually there are a lot of them in delaware for sale because people want to upgrade to larger bikes.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Aug 3 2008, 11:00 AM)
And you should be able to find those 250's for at or less than 3000 used on craigslist, usually there are a lot of them in delaware for sale because people want to upgrade to larger bikes.

i sure hope so since Kawi 250s sell for $3000 brand new. lol
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM

sparticus, is that what it is called, and EX 250?

I keep on seeing 250R.

Does the R go at the end or something?, because on ebay, they have EX250's, and 250R's.

And, I do plan on being safe, and taking the safety courses, one, because I need to know alot more then I currently know. And, two, it makes the insurance cheaper I would assume.

I have a 28 mile drive to work. I wouldn't ride it every day. I don't plan on riding when it is dark, raining(Duh), in fog, when its cold(Duh, again), and when there is even a chance of rain. Or even when my wife wants to go somewhere, plus, I don't think I cant fit me, her, and two boys on it.

There are guys at work that drive in the middle of winter, when it's raining off and on and such, I ain't that much into it. I have no desire to do a 120, or do a wheelie while doing it for that matter. Two guys at work with 600's want me to go "joy riding" with them when I get one. I ain't doing it, I have two kids, and spend most of my time with them, and plan on keeping it that way.

It ain't myself I am worried about, it's other people I am worried about, mainly people doing the quick turns while in front of you, or pulling out in front of you.

I don't desire to do anything peformance wise, only appearance. It is mainly just a means of transportation to get to work and cope with $4/gal. gas, and something I can ride when I am just going somewhere by myself, without the wife and kids.

It's a sloppy post, feel free to edit it(at least I don't do this anymore .............you know............what I mean......... fing02.gif

Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM

basically, just consider them the same
Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

You can find alot at prices like this one. Although this is a 500 http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/778503037.html
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM

so they are the same bike?

or is there a difference.