Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Looking For Firearm Information

Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I'm going to get my carry permit and purchase a handgun. It will be my first purchase, and I want some help from the members.

I've been to the shooting range a few times, shot my dad's 6" Stainless .357 S&W and my grandfather-in-law's .45

I want it somewhat for protection, but I live in a very safe neighborhood, don't really see myself ever really needing to use it.... so I guess it's primary use will be target practice. I'd love a .40 or .45, but really want to start out with a 9mm so I can afford to go to the range and practice. There are several people on a local car forum who meet up fairly often at the shooting ranges and I'd like to start going more often, with my own gun.

Any suggestions? Assume I know nothing about guns, and let me know what I need to know before buying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Px4_Storm

I want this smile.gif

Beretta Px4 9mm
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM

I like Sig's

But 9mms are good cheap ammo for ranges and stuff. If you realy just want a range gun try a 22long.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

we have, well really it's my wife's, a 38 special but don't shoot it much because of ammo cost and shooting a snub nose sucks. Plus I'm just not much of a gun person. I do like the occasional rifle target practice however.

From the VERY little experience I have I'd suggest asking someone else... lol. Actually a 9mm or 22 aught to suit your needs fine.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So what does that particular model run for?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Hey, well if you are looking into a hand gun and are looking for a 9mm, i highly suggest the Springfield Armouries XD series 9mm. I have had mine for 2 years and it is flawless. Has added safeties and in my experience are very much better then the glocks and Sig's. They are alot of fun. Also, I have been around firearms all my life, but never knew anything about reloading. After i bought my 9mm I started reloading for it.. You want to talk cheap!!!! I can make a bulk batch of ammo to last me a year for quarter of the cost of a new box of ammo. Anyway the point i am trying to make...if interested in 9mm go visit the springfield website and check out the XD series pistols. I have the 5" model 9mm, but they make a sweet 4" model. I would have gotten that one, but in here in Canada we have dumb gun laws and not permitted to have handguns with a barrell shorter then 4.5" i think..
Let us know what you get..
Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

posting from my cell... yuck!
I want a 9mm because of ammo costs... this Beretta is 595 and I was very pleased with the safety specs on this gun (glocks usually lack safety features)
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Well this really only my opinion, but i found that the beretta, was very uncomfortable to grip, and i found the glock akward because of the grip angle, that why i went with the springfield, and the XD series has all of the best safieties..but that my opinion....i think the springfield might also be cheaper
Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I carry a Glock 20 in 10mm Auto right now. With Glocks it is all about your hand size. I have no problem shooting this one and it is the biggest they make. A cool thing with Glocks is with some models the barrels are interchangeable. I can get a 40 barrel for this one and shoot the cheap ammo. I am pretty sure you can get a Glock 22 (40SW) and buy 9mm mags and a 9mm barrel. Enough about Glocks though... If you intend on going up to 40 I would buy a 40 to start out with. The difference in ammo prices is a couple dollars on a box, but if you get into reloading it will only be a few cents. You would probably lose the money you save when selling the 9mm to buy a 40. Have you looked into the S&W MP40?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

All I have to say is, a clean gun is a new gun, keep it clean.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Im with javageek on it, if your gonna get a .40 in the future get it now. Push come to shove, pick up some cheap realoading gear and make your own rounds. I was making my rounds for my .357sig for about 1/2 the cost of a box of rounds (localy, I dont know about mainland prices), my 9mm rounds cost about the same as cheap store bought stuff, and my 10mm rounds are for a revolver so i load them hot and with premium components, so i cant realy give you accurate pricing 02.gif.

I like that Beretta Ive never shot one but i handled a friends and thought it was a pretty nice little gun. I think it would make a great carry gun.
Then again i used to regularly carry around my D.E. when i was hiking so almost anything is nicer to carry then that.