Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lookin At Welders

Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well i got a gift card to harbor freight so i went lookin for welders

now i know i wanted a mig since it was a good all around hobby type welder (so ive heard..) and that with good practice some nice welds are possible i was thinkin of picking one up to weld up stuff less than a 1/4 inch

i saw this one
click here

and thought it would be a good one

what do ya think?

whats the difference between flux core and gas welding? which would be better for me? cuz a flux core is about half as much as the one above

click here
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Old 06-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

whats the difference between flux core and gas welding? which would be better for me? cuz a flux core is about half as much as the one above

flux core does not use gas it has a special stinger that does not burn up as fast as regular gas tigs do. its cheaper because the stinger costs more, a whole lot more. gas tigs are nice but when you run out of gas well lets just say it doesnt work too well. but with either one you get you will need tig wire and its not cheap.

tiging is the hardest welder to use it takes time too learn soo go with the flux and try not to burn the stinger up. remember the stinger is not suppose to touch the metal you are suppose to mealt metal with it and bond 2 pieces together. sorta like sodering but hotter. i suggest you take a class on welding or practice allot to where you feel comfertable before trying to just jump into stainless or alluminum.

if your looking at harbor frieght you will get garbage. there products suck and will always break.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

That's why you get the warranty. LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ive had a harbor freight impact wrench for goin on 2 years, my angle grinder works and its been 5 months, air compressor that i got for 100 bux is awesome same with the air ratchet i bought

hell if i get the flux core it would only be 100 bux and 50 of it i wouldnt be payin for since i got the gift card...cant beat a $50 welder

and isnt there a difference between TIG and MIG

no way in hell can i afford a TIG though...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

edit ^they are the same with little diferences but not much.

this isnt a bash on harbor fright thread stay on topic beotch.

let me explain, in a industrial place there tools are crap...

im glad your air tools are still working but im sure they dont get up to 500+ degrees and can kill you if they malfunction.

well the welder would be 50 for you but then you need rod, hood,gloves, and stingers. i answered your questions. do you want to know anything else? if not close it poontang