Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Leather Paint/dye

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Long story short I have a leather riding jacket that I really like but wish it was a different color... The color alone comes no where close to justifying buying another jacket so I was wondering if I had any other options. I knew I had heard something about leather dye somewhere so a quick google search turned up what seems to be two options; leather dye and leather paint. Has anyone tried either and if so how did they work?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

good question.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 AM

look more into that leather dye option ... this is my suggestion because this summer, i'm a bridesmaid for my best friend, and the shoes are leather. they are originally white, or black, and whatever color dress was chosen, they use leather dye on those shoes to any different color to match or compliments with the dress. so if changing the color of your jacket, i would think that it'd do the same thing.

although it also depends on your jacket, is the leather solid and no texture feel (such as leather seat in cars), or soft with texture (by texture, i mean it's a teeny bit fuzz, kinda feels like petting a bald cat/dog).

if your leather is solid and no texture, like car seat, then i wish you luck getting the color into them and make them stay, you may have to have regular coloring every few months or so to avoid fading

but if it have soft texture, then my suggestion is dye, it should get in there and stay.

*finally a subject i can relate to and help out on this site laugh.gif*
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the responses, I'm probably going to try it out eventually... I'm just afraid and havent even ordered it yet! haha
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Worst case scenario, you ruin the jacket and are 'forced' to buy one in the colour that you like.... lmao.gif

I use this to justify a lot of things that I want....
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Foxxy seems to have provided the most knowledge on the issue. I'd try that first, in a small spot that isn't easily noticeable in case it doesn't provide the desired results
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be weary on it. We use leather dye on our shoes in the army. It tends to rub off. It may or may not stay in the leather of a treated leather seat. Try it in an inconspicuous location and make sure you test it real well before you do it to the whole seat
Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Foxxy seems to have provided the most knowledge on the issue

lmao.gif i just surf through the threads, seeing if i can be of any help. so far this is the first one laugh.gif lets hope there's more wink1.gif

make sure you test it real well before you do it to the whole seat

guess you didnt read his original post correctly, he said leather jacket, not leather seat