Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Leaning on a random persons car, socially acceptable or rude?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib
Default Leaning on a random persons car, socially acceptable or rude?

OK, quick back-story:

I live in a condo with an assigned parking space. Next to my space are 2 visitors spots. My neighbor, an older woman, lives there alone. She has her son, daughter in law, and their 2 kids over periodically, and they usually park next to my car in the visitors spot. No problem so far. When they are leaving, there is usually the typical packing up the car with their crap and 2 kids ritual of opening and closing all 4 doors that goes on for 20 minutes or so. It also involves goodbye and all that. Here's the issue I have. The daughter in law leans against my car as they are shooting the breeze. She may be wearing jeans, a skirt, whatever. I pointed it out to my girlfriend as it annoys me, and I mention that this is how cars get scratched, etc. She thinks I'm a bit crazy and over the top.

Question to you guys, is it socially acceptable to lean against a strangers car, or am I just being too paranoid. I wouldn't do it to others, and hoped karma would return the favor. My girl thinks I'm nuts, but I explained its not just cars, I wouldn't lean on a strangers house, car, fence, etc.

Just because person "A" does not care about their 4 door POS makes them feel its OK for them to be careless opening and closing doors, and leaning on someone else's $20K, $30K, $40K, $50K car?

Conventional wisdom is welcome!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Say something to them. It would piss me off beyond belief. Lean against your own f*cking car. Don't be rude about it unless they continually do it after you tell them.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I think it really depends on the person. Car enthusiasts like their cars and protect them; I would guess that 90% of the members here would NOT like some stranger leaning against their car. However, and regular non-car enthusiast wouldn't care... they don't protect their cars like we do.

I would not want someone leaning against my vehicle, especially if I don't know them.

It's all about respect. Respect someone elses property. If you have a car alarm, I'd utilize it to the fullest extent. Beep the horn when they're next to it, and set it off if they touch it. They'll get the picture. Or you could just approach her and say, "I don't mean to be rude, but I spend a lot of time cleaning my car and making sure the paint is protected and lasts a lifetime. Could you be please be careful not to lean or brush up against the car?" Now, you could get an earful from her, "You mean your 10 year old Hyundai?!" ... people may be more careful if it were a Maserati and not a Hyundai.

I'd personally request a parking spot that isn't next to visitor parking. Maybe pick one at the end of the line, so you're only next to one other vehicle.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

say something!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would be sure to say something. Probably not in a nice way. I want to be the crazy neighbor that everyone is leery of talking to or pissing off. It must work, I don't speak to any of my neighbors, and I only know one's name.

When I lived at my first apartment a neighbor was having a party and the a-hole guests were bumping my Blazer hard enough to set the alarm off. I went out and checked on it with a pistol concealed on me the first time, not knowing what was going on when the pager went off. The group was laughing at me for coming out in a hurry and checking it for dents/etc. The second time it went off I went outside with my SKS and walked up to it and stood there glaring at everyone. The crowd moved away not thinking it was so funny anymore. I went and waited in the trees beyond the parking to see what was going on. I was about 20 feet in and it was dark so nobody could see me. About 10 minutes later 2 guys walked into the brush about 10 feet from me and took a leak facing right at me in the dark, never noticing me. they got into their truck and when they turned on their headlights it lit me up, standing there with the SKS in front of me. They screamed and slammed the truck in reverse and roared out of there through a crowd of probably 150 people narrowly missing everyone.

I don't like people touching my stuff.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

dude... you're creepy
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ I second that.

I wouldn't mind if some random person leans on it once, but if the same person regularly does it I would be pretty pissed. Every time she does it there is a chance she will scratch the car (for example if there is any metal on her jeans or whatnot), think how the car will look in a few years..
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

i am always the person out my little group to say something, however i am not the type of person to really get upset.

when i say something its always in a joking or funny manner i feel i don't have to be a crazy or hard ass to get people to respect what i say.

joking around but at the same time asking them to stop doing what ever it is they are doing, if they like you they will respect what your saying.

rather than for example: You respect your dad, so you dont smoke in front of him, but you still smoke.

i would just hate for someone to do something to my car much worse if they felt i offended them.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I just hate having people disrespect me and/or my property. It happens all the time here, people have no respect. People have their dogs crap in my lawn as if it's their right, I'm on a corner and people walk through my lawn all the time, etc. If I had my way I wouldn't have any neighbors, but unfortunately that's an expensive proposition anywhere around here.

The sitting in the brush and scaring the guys wasn't intentional it just happened that way. I was waiting there to chew some ass the next time some jackass messed with my Blazer and scare them off. I just wanted to see what was going on with my own eyes and see who was doing it and what they were doing.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Ive told an officer"excuse me,can you get your ticket pad and arms off my roof please!?" ..and he even said sorry.