Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lcd Tv Problems.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ill hopefully be getting a new tv soon and it will also be a nice LCD. Most likely a little bigger but this will all come in helpful. I need to cut back on the car stuff and get more into getting ready to buy a home.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Ericy -- really needs to be in a different topic -- but save as much as possible to use as a down payment on a house, and make sure you've got a few months of backup in the bank after you put a down payment.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok after a few days with this tv I have nothing but good comments about it. Picture is great the better contrast on the plasma makes a real difference.
I am going to be hanging it on the wall in a day or 2 so I am looking forward to that because of the extra room it gives us.

Ericy the only advice I can give you when you get your tv is save more or plan on spending a little more than you think because of the warranty and taxes. I didnt even think of the tax or the warranty when I went and it was about 300.00 more added on to the cost of the tv. I do have to say the warranty is worth it though. Oh and definitely plan on the box being alot bigger than the tv lol.

Also never ever go to a rent-a-center or rent to own store. I checked them out just to see the tvs and they are rediculous. I got a tv thats 10 times better than anything they had in thier store and I paid about a 1/3 to 1/4 of the price than when you do thier rental plans. There was a 42" tv there and by the time you got done paying the rental in full till you own a possibly used tv you were paying 4 grand.

So just stay away lol.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Did you hang it on the wall? Are you still satisfied with your purchase 5 days later?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

QUOTE (Tib001 @ Dec 11 2007, 09:23 AM)
Also never ever go to a rent-a-center or rent to own store. I checked them out just to see the tvs and they are rediculous. I got a tv thats 10 times better than anything they had in thier store and I paid about a 1/3 to 1/4 of the price than when you do thier rental plans. There was a 42" tv there and by the time you got done paying the rental in full till you own a possibly used tv you were paying 4 grand.

So just stay away lol.

Rental places are never the way to go to purchase anything. Back in the early 90's I rented a Sega system that had the Sega CD built into it. I rented it for a week and it was like $10 or so I think. I sat down and figured out how much it would cost me if I purchased it through there payments and it came to like $2400. You could buy it retail for $150-$200 I believe. I took it back to the store and the guy really could not understand why I was bringing it back. I told him to do the math, I could buy 10 of them at their price.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM

^^ those segas were pretty cool. lol I think I still have one somewhere.

Yeah I am pretty happy with my tv. I hung it on the wall a few days ago and the mount is very solid. It looks really good with my analog cable and even better with the digital chanels and dvd player. I went out and bought all new cables and it made it even better.

Only problem was after I got the tv up on the wall my 2 dvd players wouldn't show up on the tv. I thought the inputs were blown out on the tv and I would have to take it down and return it (that would have made it 3 times), but it turns out the component out on both of the dvd players was bad and I had to go buy a new one.

If you were looking for a cheap upconvert dvd player walmart has a decent phillips for about 40 bucks thats the one I got. The picture is pretty good and its not bad for the price now I just have to see how long it lasts.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:20 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Sweet TV!

As for service, if you don't have an HDMI output on your companies latest box, go with Directv. I have had it for almost a year now on my 73" mitsu diamond 73831.

Picture quality is great, and I get something like 75 HD channels (and another 150 SD's with local channels), with their best HD DVR box for $59.99 a month (normally it is $69.99, but I got a special offer of $10 off per month for one year).

I just kept my cable internet and got this for the tv.

Audio is good through the hdmi out on the box, it isn't QUITE as good as something from my dvd player, but hell it is from a satellite thousands of miles away so... Besides, I think you are just using audio from the tv speakers so you shouldn't notice it at all, it is a very minute difference.

But I think you would be happy with the Directv because you can get the full 720p that your tv offers instead of the 480p or is it 480i that you can pass through the crummy s-video.

Of course if you are happy with what you have now in regards to service, then by all means keep it, but if you want to move up to the next level, go with directv.

BTW: Get an XBOX 360 ELITE, it comes with the HDMI cable and the black housing is stellar for the few extra bucks. Remember, HDMI is a digital signal in comparison to component video's analog, although you might not be able to tell the difference. It's up to you, but if you do get a 360, the game picture quality and graphics will blow you away.

Ugh, sorry for the long post guys, I'm kind of a home theater nut, lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:57 AM

^ I seen that mitsubishi its really nice but way too big for my space here lol.

When I thought I had a problem with this tv Circuit city didn't have anymore in stock anywhere so they offered me a 50" samsung as an even exchange but then I found the problem and didn't have to return it. I would have really wanted the 50" but I was happy with what I had and I didn't have to go through the trouble of returning it.

Its not that the cable co doesn't have a box with the hd out but its not the regular box like we have. Its their dvr box and costs extra for the box and monthly plan.

Although after the holidays we might be getting it anyway because they are offering a new service with tv internet and phone all in one and its cheaper than we are paying now.

I wanted Direct tv but no one else here does so I can't get it lol. One of my friends has it and it looks great on his tv with the hd.

I was checking out the xbox elite but i'm not a huge gamer so I wasn't really going to spend the extra cash. I can't even find an xbox now everywhere is sold out anyway lol.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well I figured I would throw this in here. Tomorrow Im getting a 42" Plasma made by LG. I looked at a bunch in the store and did a little research and this one seemed like the best for the money. Tons of inputs including a few HDMI and even a USB. It has anti glare and basically the guy explained it as kind of having the good features about lcd and plasma. Im getting a new cable box with HD so everything should look really good. Also got a PS3 for games and blu-ray. Ill post up when I get it all set up.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM

I looked at the LG when I went to get mine its pretty nice. I might have even got it but the one I got looked better on normal analog tv at least in the store and that was my concern for now so I went with it and it looks really good.

Are you picking it up or is it being delivered?

Maybe you already know this but if you are gonna pick it up a plasma has to be transported sitting up like normal and can't be laid down or tilted very far. And the box is alot bigger than you expect lol.

I have my xbox 360 hooked to it and it looks great and its not even using the hdmi connections so the ps3 should look pretty good.

Are you mounting it on the wall or just sitting it like normal?