Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lcd Tv Problems.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok so first I bought this

I did some research for about 2 weeks and thought this tv wasn't too bad for the price. but now i'm not sure. This is my first LCD besides my computer monitor so I am not familiar with them as far as tvs go.

Bought it on black friday for about 700.00 what i'm getting from it now it isn't even worth it. I didn't expect a miracle but I expected better than my old 27 inch regular tv.

Got it home took it out of the box and it has a stuck pixel almost in the middle of the screen. Ever since I connected it I have been fighting with the picture quality. Also my cable remote doesn't recognise the codes for the tv to program it.

Right now it is connected to my digital cable box with the A/V outputs not the usual cable wire because the cable wire picture was worse.

I have been adjusting and readjusting the settings since friday the picture is sometimes fuzzy sometimes has an almost painted picture look, sometimes dark or light, and sometimes really clear and good.

ps2 looks fine on it even though its not hd but my dvd player looks about the same as the cable does.

So far I tried a couple different wires and the cable company is bringing me a new updated box on the 6th. I will be getting an xbox 360 soon and maybe a dvd player if the xbox doesnt cut it for playing dvds.

I will also be returning the tv to get a replacement because of the stuck pixel so I will have a brand new tv in the next week or so.

What can I do to get a better picture or at least a decent one besides getting HD service from my cable co? i'm not looking for an amazing picture from cable but it has got to be better than what i'm getting now.

I have the option to return the tv for a direct replacement or money back and get a different one so i'm not sure what I should do.

One last thing kind of to do with the tv. Anyone have an opinion about the xbox 360 being a good enough dvd player or should I buy a seperate one?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I'm not majik, but I have worked at a big retail electronic store. If you plan on replacing the TV with the same model take the direct replacement. If you get the cash back you will be out some money because surely the price has gone back up since black Friday. Also, check with your cable company to see if they offer free HD service. Mine down here does as long as you have the digital cable service. Your best picture is going to be from the HDMI input. It goes like this Cable<AV<Component<HDMI.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks, I will make sure to ask them when they bring the new cable box. I don't think they have a HDMI out on the cable box they are bringing only a S-video. There prob is one on their new DVR box but that only comes with the DVR upgrade package for 30 bucks more a month so that won't be anytime soon.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

as for your cable remote not working, I worked for Universal Remote Control over the summer and have access to there database. Alot of companies use the same codes as others they just don't tell you. I'll look it up to see if the sylvania codes match up with some other brand and let you know what those brands are so you can see if they work for the tv.

As for the 360 playing dvd's mine has worked fine, sometimes on burned copies it starts to skip around but other than that its fine, i acctully just finished watching a copy of the new die hard, worked fine

See if these work, either Orion, emerson, Memorex, Sansui, or zenith they are all made by the same company
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

First, I'll give you my choices for HDTV: Samsung, Sony Bravia, Phillips, Panasonic, Sharp, and LG. LG seems to be a good TV for the price, a little lower quality perhaps but their prices drop down below the others. I may be excluding some good ones, but those are the ones I like off the top of my head.

Looking at LCD TVs, there's a big price difference usually between 37" and 40/42", so you were right looking at the 37's for the best deal.

Contrast ratio is something to pay attention to. This TV has a 1200:1 ratio, which is towards the bottom of the barrel. I would suggest getting something closer to 4,000:1 or higher if you can afford it. Also note, you can't compare Plasma contrast ratios to LCD, the type of TV makes them very different. Plasma will be 10,000:1 or 15,000:1 and LCDs usually not that high.

I like LCD more than Plasma, just personal tastes. Plasma images are much brighter and (to me) look almost fake and too colorful. I like the more natural look from LCDs. Also, Plasma has a glass screen, LCDs don't, so you may get a big glare from the screen if there's a lot of direct sunlight coming into the room through large windows.

Since the TV obviously has problems, I'd return it and get a cash refund. You should be able to find a $800-$900 37" 720p somewhere nearby. Best Buy has had some really good prices lately, as well as H.H. Gregg (don't know what stores you have near you).

I'd suggest going to a store with tons of TVs (Best Buy is good) and find one you like and that looks good for your price range. Go home, use CNet, and get feedback and comparable TVs. CNet actually says the Sylvania is good, but they only have customer comments. CNet's staff is usually much more harsh on reviews.

HDMI Cable - NEVER buy cables from big stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.). There's no reason (that I can agree with) to pay $80-100 for an HDMI cable. Visit http://www.monoprice.com and get one for under $20 shipped to your door.

Your cable box should have an HDMI output, but you might need to get the HD box (which may require the DVR). Their bottom line box might not have it. Also, if you have an HD TV and you're viewing Non-HD channels, the TV quality is higher than the broadcast, and you may see imperfections in the broadcast. I'd suggest finding out how to view the HD channels. Your cable company may ask for you to pay for an HD package, but I have Comcast and they broadcast the HD signal through the same regular signal. I get about 30 or more HD channels without paying extra for them. There's a huge difference between HD channels and non-HD channels.

I don't have a 360, so I can't really give you any feedback on that. I'm looking at getting a 360 rather than a PS3 because of the game selection, BUT you can't beat the price of a PS3 now that they've dropped it again - it comes with a built in Blu-Ray disc player which costs almost as much as the PS3 does. But again, I don't have PS3 or XBox so I can't provide any insight into that.

Summary: Return your TV, get a better one. For $700-$800 you should be able to find a good 37" LCD. If you like the plasmas, you might be able to find one cheaper than LCD. Whatever you do, make sure you return it before the 30-day or 60-day window expires.

Did I answer your questions? Sorry, I started to ramble...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Hey thanks for all the help guys.

I have been busy so I wasn't able to do much with the tv. I am waiting to take it back for a new one untill the model of tv is back in stock. They only had 5 on black friday and sold them all so they were waiting to get more in, should be this week I hope.

Then on Thurs the cable guy is coming with my new box so I will get to see if the picture is any better.

If all this doesn't work i'll prob be back for some opinions on other tvs to buy after returning the sylvania.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Ok cable guy came with the new box. The best connection on it is S-video so the picture is better but not by much except on the digital channels like hbo and such but there aren't many digital channels anyway.

Anyway I recently got my wall mount that I ordered but when I checked it out last night I discovered it isn't a wall mountable lcd. There are 4 screws on the back but they are way too small to do anything to mount the tv and don't really line up with the mount.

Needless to say this tv is going back hopefully today or tomorrow so I need to look for a new tv. I am tired of it and its problems.

So now I was wondering what lcd tv does anyone recommend/ have experience with.
What brand tv does everyone use and what kind of service do you have (cable, dish, HD, basic, ect.)

Remember I am on regular cable with the only digital channels being hbo and a few others but 90% of the channels are still analog signal. I will also be getting an xbox soon for games and dvds that is as high tech as I am getting with this for a while so no hd programming or anything like that.

I was looking at these tvs for example:

http://www.target.com/Magnavox-37-Digital-...4999&page=1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1169512521139
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5623473
Old 12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

I'd stay away from Vizio, personally. I'm just not sure about them.

HDTV really won't do much for you unless you're on a digital signal and have HD channels. It might actually make your analog picture look worse, since the TV quality will be higher than the cable output. I have Comcast, pay about $60/mo. for digital and HD channels. I've got over 30 HD channels and never really watch anything else.

For about $1,000, I'd look at a 37" LG TV. There is a standard wall mount that fits most LCDs, but I think LG bolts are slightly wider, so you might have to get one specifically for an LG.

I found a nice Samsung for $999 - it has 3 HDMI inputs (one for XBox, one for DVD player, one for Cable when you finally get HD channels). Also has 2 Component, 2 S-Video, 1 PC, 2 composite A/V inputs. Has 8,000:1 contrast ratio
Model # LN-T4053H
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1169512288892
Also, if you buy the TV from Best Buy, you get 15% off a wall mount -- so you might be better off returning the one you bought and buying one you know matches up to the TV, and get 15% off at the same time.

If I needed to buy today, I'd probably put this at the top of my choices for the $1,000 price range.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I went out yesterday for about 6 hours lol tv shopping.

I went to 4 different stores and finally got this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-4...roductDetail.do

Majik You read my mind I was so close to buying an LG but a very helpful guy at the 2nd store I went to helped me out.
He actually changed thier hd signal to the regular analog signal we get in the area. They use HD for display but the analog signal is still there most of them just don't give that info I guess.

Anyway the lg looked ok but the panasonic was much better. Too bad they were out of stock so I had to go to a few more stores to find the one they had.

I looked at the samsung too but they didn't have any there just the display.

The guy told tell me the analog signal wouldnt look on any tv but he was wrong it looks great on this tv not as great as high def or a good upconvert dvd player but so much better than the last tv and the digital signal that I do get on a few stations looks even better.

The only thing I didn't like was the price but it was cheaper in store than online. Most of the other tvs I looked at were around the same price but this was the best IMO. I got the warranty and I recommend it if you buy from CC or best buy. They will come to the house and replace the tv for just about anything dust, power surges, heat, moisture whatever as long as there is no physical abuse to the tv they will replace it for 3 years.

I was also lucky to have a very helpful cable guy who recommended the panasonic saying it was the best looking tv he sees with the cable when he does installs and I'm sure he sees alot of tvs. He also let me in on a special package that the cable co has that they don't advertise cause its new.
Its hd dvr with thier highest speed internet and phone all in one so we might be getting that so I could have an even better picture soon.

Thanks again guys for the help.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

glad you found what you wanted.

honestly, it comes down to personal preference -- you have to get in the store and see what looks best.

it's great that he let you see the analog signal - I can't really offer any advice on that, you have to see what works with your service.

Congrats!!