Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lawyers

Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

so i got nailed with my 2nd OWI, first one was over 6yrs ago, i'm debating if i should get a lawyer and see if i can get the charges dropped.

i can up with some outcomes

1. hire the lawyers, if i win, end up paying the lawyers
2. hire the lawyers and not win and end up paying both
3. dont hire a lawyer and take it up the ass with the court system.

any comments would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You are a dumb ass.

DWI/OWI offenders who are guilty deserve everything they are likely to get from the courts.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Stocker @ Jun 9 2010, 01:34 PM)
You are a dumb ass.

DWI/OWI offenders who are guilty deserve everything they are likely to get from the courts.

1st off u tard i was barely over the limit and the cop used a retarded reason to pull me over. he had followed me for a mile then decided to make up a reason to pull me over. Sopposedly not doing a full stop at a stop sign after he followed me for over a mile. so unless u know the circumstances suck on a nut.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

To be honest, I frown on DWI offenders, but I'm always one for fighting the law. haha

The first thing I would do would be to get a consultation. Many lawyers will give you
advice before ever paying them a dime. See if you have a case at all.

I don't know about WI, but check your state laws and see what stipulations an officer must perform
before being able to admit certain pieces of evidence. Read it carefully and analyze it.

Small details and facts are what will determine if the arrest was warranted or not.

Also, remember YOU are your own worst enemy in court. So many people I know have forfeited their rights or confessed,
because a cop lied to them or they thought it would go easier. A police officer does not have the authority to make deals
with defendants...that's the DA's job. And anything you say can and will be used against you.

Lastly, Nowadays I doubt you will be able to get off with a DWI. There are a lot of judges who would love to fry you up.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

QUOTE (lilo shark @ Jun 10 2010, 05:15 AM)
1st off u tard i was barely over the limit and the cop used a retarded reason to pull me over. he had followed me for a mile then decided to make up a reason to pull me over. Sopposedly not doing a full stop at a stop sign after he followed me for over a mile. so unless u know the circumstances suck on a nut.

Over the limit is over the limit. Don't try to use that logic to justify your poor behavior. You know the law and have been informed of it once before. The ignorance card definitely wont work in your court defence. Whether or not the cop had a good justifiable reason to follow you or not, I am glad he did, look at what he caught. The circumstances are, you decided to drink and then get behind the wheel. You made the decision now prepare to deal with the consequences.

And now my advice
Get a lawyer! I say this in hopes you lose. You then will be responsible for paying your lawyers fees and court fees. I have no sympathy for your poor decision. Man up and admit you did something wrong. Don't try and scam your way out of the consequences for something you willingly did.

Go ahead call me names get mad at me, but you posted asking for opinions(reference quote below) and I willingly gave mine. I am not in here trying to start a fight, just give my $0.02.

QUOTE (lilo shark @ Jun 10 2010, 02:12 AM)
any comments would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If you ask for opinions, be ready to receive our opinions.

The cop was most likely running your tags for that mile before he pulled you over. I'm sure you weren't the only car on the road (or maybe you were?) so he had SOME reason to target you.

QUOTE (lilo shark @ Jun 9 2010, 10:12 AM)
3. dont hire a lawyer and take it up the ass with the court system.

Don't hire a lawyer, he can say "Guilty" just as easily as you can. Are you trying to defend your actions or argue the fact your BAC was above the limit?

1. Get into an alcohol program before your court date
2. Plead guilty, and provide the judge with the steps you've taken to prevent your actions from repeating.
3. Don't be a dumbass again.

There is a limit for a reason.
BTW... what was your BAC? Did you comply to take a breathalyzer? Did they perform a field sobriety test?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Take it from me. The only thing a lawyer can do in this situation is look at the steps the officers took and try and find a mistake. If there is no mistakes in the arrest process, you are fighting a pointless battle. I am personally on a suspension from a DUI right now. I also got pulled over for a stupid reason (because of my passenger actually) and I knew I made a huge mistake. I owned up to my actions and paid a large fine and have been suspended for 4 months now. I also now have a criminal record at 19 years old and is preventing me from alot of things such as travelling and jobs.

I definately learned my lesson and am even selling my car in a month. It attracts too much attention and provides too much temptation. For you to have done this twice I have no sympathy but as for advice, if the police report looks air tight dont bother with a lawyer.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 AM

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jun 9 2010, 07:25 PM)
If you ask for opinions, be ready to receive our opinions.

The cop was most likely running your tags for that mile before he pulled you over. I'm sure you weren't the only car on the road (or maybe you were?) so he had SOME reason to target you.

Don't hire a lawyer, he can say "Guilty" just as easily as you can. Are you trying to defend your actions or argue the fact your BAC was above the limit?

1. Get into an alcohol program before your court date
2. Plead guilty, and provide the judge with the steps you've taken to prevent your actions from repeating.
3. Don't be a dumbass again.

There is a limit for a reason.
BTW... what was your BAC? Did you comply to take a breathalyzer? Did they perform a field sobriety test?

i was the only car on the road. i got a lawyer and he told me something that my be in good; he said if i had taken a drink then left right after the alcohol wouldn't have gotten absorbed for atleast 20 mins making the bac actually higher than it should've been. he's going to try to get the evidence tape from the squad car and if the cop did pull me over for no reason then it would be dismissed, hopefully.

bluebomber, i herd canada is one of the worst places to get a DUI.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

some squad car videos are activated by the sirens/lights, so it might not show the infraction
Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ there was some controversy locally a year or two ago, a thug was killed by the police and they hadn't turned on their car camera . . . manual activation fail. With digital cameras and terabyte hard drives in DVRs I don't know why the cars aren't rolling film 24/7 these days.