Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Lawmaker proposes $500 fine for not clearing snow off cars

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 tib
Default Lawmaker proposes $500 fine for not clearing snow off cars

This state is really screwed up sometimes. Video in the link below

HAVERHILL, Mass. -- A local lawmaker's fine idea could make drivers pay up for not clearing snow off their cars before they hit the road.

We’ve all seen it before - snow and ice piled on cars and trucks, which can be a dangerous hazard when it comes flying off of the car in front of you.

“All of a sudden you’re blinded and of course you’re shocked so the reaction is to turn the wheel and you could cause an accident,” said Garry Palmisciano, driver.

The impact on Jessica D’Avolio’s Honda Civic was so intense that the 20-year-old was covered in glass by the time she made it to the emergency lane on I-93 in Andover Friday morning.

“It was all over me, in my jacket sleeves, my jeans,” said D’Avolio.

She says a sheet of ice flew off of a tractor trailer in front of her, but without a license plate number state police could do nothing.

One state lawmaker is now filing bills that would require drivers to clear the snow and ice off of the tops of their vehicles, and if they don’t, they would receive a fine up to $500.

“I’m more concerned about having legislation there or a statute there eventually that will give police the tools they need to stop a vehicle and say, ‘Look. You need to clean the snow off your vehicle because it’s dangerous.’” said Rep. Cleon Turner.

D’Avolio would like to see this become a law.

“I could have gotten hurt, anybody could have gotten hurt, it could have caused a bad accident to happen,” said D’Avolio.

But most drivers that 7NEWS spoke with think a maximum fine of $500 is way too high.

“Maybe $100,” said Hurd.

“I would say $50,” said Palmisciano.

Rep. Turner said he is willing to compromise on the exact dollar amount of the fine, but not on the principle that drivers need to get the snow off of their vehicles.

Thankfully D’Avolio is uninjured.

http://www.whdh.com/news/articles/lo...snow-off-cars/
Old 02-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

You know the interior oh ma civic is pink, like that stuff is bright and I can't see a massive amounts of ice flying at me!

Seriously people clean off yo whip!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I'd love to see this go through with a $500 fine. Lazy buttholes can't take an extra minute to clean off the roof of their car/truck. Every last one of the d-bags on the road that doesn't clean the snow off their ride needs to be donkey punched in the scrotum/puss!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

“All of a sudden you’re blinded and of course you’re shocked so the reaction is to turn the wheel and you could cause an accident,”

WAITWUT!?

I don't know about you people but when I'm suddenly blinded by a gust of snow/ice the last reaction is to veer into another lane of traffic randomly. Take that a**holes license away!!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^+1 Who suddenly veers when they're blinded? Is this what they teach the kids in government school these days? How about just straight-up slam the brakes instead?

If you have ice on your car and drive off without breaking it off, you suck. If people in your state are so bad about this that there oughtta be a law, then there oughtta be a law.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

While I think most snow should be cleared, at the same time, I don't think Ms. 20-year-old Princess "my parents bought me a Honda because it has a gas and brake pedal and they're good quality" driver should be driving so close or fast knowing there's flying snow. What about the freightliners that have just driven through a snow storm from another state? or transit busses?

This is more ridiculous laws and police stuffing more citizens into the courtrooms.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

the possibility of a trucker getting on top of his trailer to remove the ice or snow off the top is nill to none. in fact, it is a pretty funny joke if you think about it.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

In matters like this, there needs to be one law, and one law only:

COMMON SENSE

It seems people today have a complete lack of this simple, yet incredibly important concept.

Things like cleaning off your car before you drive, not turning sharply and causing accidents if you can't see, not going 120mph in a 45 zone, etc, etc.

The courts can impose laws all they want, but it won't do any good. You can tell people exact specifics of what they can and cant do (rules/laws), and then people turn off their brain - there's no law against it, so why not?? Or you can make people rely on their common sense, and pass judgements on their use of that instead. Granted it would be much more subjective, but at least you won't have a lawbook the size of a library. It won't be until you have made a law for or against EVERY single action that the government will finally stop making laws. At that point, a country stops being a country. People stop being people, and turn into robots (or prisoners).

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Alber Einstein.

I'm completely against this law (and a fine?????), and the many, many other frivolous laws that keep getting imposed on us. They won't stop. EVER.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I consider the laws of Montana to be quite conservative. This is a law in Montana. You need to clean the snow off your car or you are a danger to others.

Lets take a look at what the legal system is for.... We live in America. In america you can do what you want, when you want. We have freedom. The legal system is there as part of the game to make sure your freedoms don't infringe on other's freedoms. If you drive with snow on your car, then you are a risk to those behind you. When they crash, they're not going to have time to get your license plate.

This is a good idea and should be a federal law.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This should be a federal law like marriage should be a federal law

(hint: not at all)