Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

LA bans travel and business with Arizona

Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default LA bans travel and business with Arizona

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010...-immigrati.html

The Los Angeles City Council, protesting Arizona’s crackdown on illegal immigration, on Wednesday voted to ban most city travel to Arizona and future contracts with companies in that state.

During a morning-long debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona’s action to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese Americans during World War II. A new Arizona law, which will take effect July 23, requires police to check the immigration papers of people they suspect lack legal status, which critics say will lead to racial profiling.

“Los Angeles the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard,’’ said Councilman Ed Reyes, one of the resolution’s sponsors. “As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who’s having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be … deported, no questions asked. That is not American.’’

The action was approved 13-1, with Councilman Greig Smith casting the sole dissenting vote.
The council’s action fell short of a total boycott or canceling all of the city’s $58 million worth of contracts with Arizona companies. Officials with the Port of Los Angeles and Los Angeles International Airport expressed concern about potential effects on those agencies. The council asked boards overseeing the port, airport and city utilities to review all contracts with ties to Arizona, however.

LAX receives $22 million in revenue from two Arizona-based airlines -- US Airways and Mesa Air. The port relies on three Arizona firms for new, low-emission big rigs, part of the city’s “clean truck’’ program that is expected to reduce truck-related pollution at the port by 80% by 2012.
-- Phil Willon

fp.gif headshake.gif
Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I'd love to see the last names of those who voted for it. Reyes... for. Smith... against. Hmmm...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i agree, however, Arizona has become quite communistic from what i hear. they'll stop you and impose sh** on you that will land you in court on your own expense. it's pretty damn strict and unfair.

there's some F. up S. corruption, starvation, crime, illegal wood cutting going on down in S. America and unless that is repaired Arizona will have an illegal immigration crisis more than any other states. i think the wrong people are in charge and hey, if they deserve to get scolded for unlawful sh** then be it.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

having been an AZ resident until a few months ago i hvae a few things to say about this.

First, AZ has horrid laws regarding immigration and the police there definitely have a racial bias against immigrants, and not Asian or Middle Easterners. Mexicans and only Mexicans.

Secondly, If anyone on this forum went to Arizona, and I don't care how Mexican you are, no one would be stopped by the police. I laugh at the thought of Mr. Reyes thinking he'd get deported wearing a suit and driving his Mercedes. No cop is that stupid. If you can afford a computer and have an internet connection, you do NOT look like a Mexican immigrant. The people that get racially profiled and deported are people who ride bicycles, wear cowboy hats, are so brown they're almost black. People who live in squalor with 3 families in a 1 bedroom home. THOSE are the people who are suspected of being illegal immigrants because honestly 90% of them are probably illegal.

I hate that state with so much passion but please do not think that this is Nazi Germany. Maybe in principle the two are the same and I don't agree with these laws at all, but I just want you all to know what I feel is going on. There's no checkpoint charlie to my knowledge and there aren't soldiers marching down the streets demanding papers from everyone.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

F$ck L.A. If Arizona wants to enforce its immagration laws then by god let them, it's not like are federal government is doing a dam thing to stop illegal immagration. And learn some f*cking english while your at it. If I were to move to another non english speaking country I would learn the freaking language. I have noticed a number of ATM's in the valley here (were it's heavely populated with hispanic folks) that english is the #2 option with espanol as the #1 option for selecting a language. And 4 the record im not a racist.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

right it's simply pointing out what is apparent. in hospitals in Florida, Spanish is first, and English underneath. Since a lot of retired and elderly live down there, you'd think they'd only have English in BIG font? nah...

there are two sides to this story. but i think a State has a right to make its own laws. especially if the Government isn't doing anything about it.