Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Kind Of In A Pinch

Old 04-05-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got my tiburon back today after Best Buy screwed up installing my Viper Remote Start/Keyless entry unit. Apparently, when they installed it something happened and it fried the TCM (Transmission Control Module). The guy at the dealership said that Hyundai doesn't reccoment getting aftermarket parts like that put on the vehicles and I was wondering if any of you have aftermarket keyless entry/remote start units installed. I am not sure if I should go back to Best Buy and give them another crack at it, or ask them for the money I paid to get it installed back as well as try to get a refund for the unit that I purchased 5 months ago that my car apparently didn't like. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't believe our cars are any different as far as being able to install remote starters. Easier probably because we don't have chipped keys. The BB installer probably just didn't know what he was doing. I have the viper alarm/remote start, but the remote start is disabled because I drive a standard. But the shop I went to said they could hook it up easily if I want. Let them try again and if they can get it right, get a refund and go somewhere else.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have a Compustar Alarm/Remote Start and I haven't had any problems at all with it. I didn't get the keyless entry done though.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

cars standard and got remote start and keyless on it, no problems what so ever

if they fried your TCM, i'd go back and b**** at them till they paid for a new one including labour and fixed whatever they messed up

how i got my keyless for free smile.gif

dude told me i didnt need a actuator in the door, i said i did, he said no, i said ok, he went to install, said i needed it, i told him to f off that he told me no and they ended up paying for one and istalling it for free smile.gif

edit: w00t, 100
Old 04-05-2006, 05:33 PM

they already paid for the TCM to get fixed, and even gave me a rental car for the week it was in the shop. the question is do you think this will happen again, and if not then should I have them re-install it since I already paid for it to be installed? I believe that the replies seem to point to yes, that I should havew them install it again.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Let's see, they f-ed up your car once. And you want to give it back to them? Eyecrazy.gif Eyecrazy.gif Eyecrazy.gif Eyecrazy.gif
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. I have keyless entry and alarm no probs, didnt get the remote start because at the time i believed them when they said it couldnt be done on a stick (found out right after that was BS)

And of course hyundai is going to say that, they want you to think you have to go to them to do it.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:53 PM

I would go back and have them fix it until its right.
I have an Aftermarket Keyless remote start in my 01 and it works beautiful.
The place also did a very clean job and tired the wires up nice and neat.
So, yes take it back and it shouldn't be that hard to fix. (if the guy knew what he was doing)
Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

take it back... they have a warranty on all the labor they do... dont pay a dime to fix it.

btw... i got my alarm installed at BB (an audiovox keyless and 2way)... didnt have a problem with anything... but every BB is gonna be different.

good luck