Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Kansas bill: Okay to spank a child 10 times, leave bruising

Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Kansas bill: Okay to spank a child 10 times, leave bruising

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...rsy/?hpt=hp_t4

Democratic state representative Gail Finney of Wichita put out a statement Tuesday after media stories about her legislation, which would expand on current Kansas law by allowing teachers and caregivers to spank children up to 10 times, possibly causing redness and bruising.

I dont have kids but it would be a cold day in hell before I let some stranger hit them. But I can understand why they would want discipline brought back into schools.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

when i was 10 and living in clayton georgia, i got paddled by the principal for not bringing signed documents by my parents,

all i can say was i was in tears and my butt cheeks were red hot when walking back to class.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

imho let them get a few bruises. There are some adults today that need this kind of reinforcement, let alone their damn brat children.

I got my ass blistered a few times. School was about the only place to get away with sh*t, and honestly in most cases probably didn't need to. There's a fine line between punishment and abuse. Trust me on this one, I know well. My old man used to kick the sh*t out of me when I was younger so I know full well the difference between abuse and punishment. Getting a paddle to the cheeks hurts, but that area of the body is designed to absorb that kind of shock. You might not be able to sit for a few minutes but pain is funny that way. Getting picked up by the arm and swung into a cabinet corner is a totally different scenario altogether.

Spoiled brat?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm fine with this. Schools have guidelines, they're not going to have abusive psychopaths beating children. If it gets to the point of a paddlin the kid earned it.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by 187sks
I'm fine with this. Schools have guidelines, they're not going to have abusive psychopaths beating children. If it gets to the point of a paddlin the kid earned it.

Schools don't hire child predators or abusers either but there is always a story or two a year about a teacher sleeping with or sexually abusing one of their students.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM

You mean that there's people out there trying to exploit the system?! Say it isn't so.

Well that's it. Nothings safe. Shut everything down.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by pas1216
Schools don't hire child predators or abusers either but there is always a story or two a year about a teacher sleeping with or sexually abusing one of their students.
Sure, but that happens whether or not they can paddle the kids. They'll have to have a good reason for paddling anyone or they'll be getting fired. If someone has a pattern of beating kids excessively or wrongfully it won't take more than a couple times at most before they're relieved of their positions.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I don't see spanking improving the way kids act, especially in school. If a child is misbehaving at school, they are more than likely misbehaving at home too. A child's behavior and the way they act in general is usually a reflection on the parenting and how that child was/is raised. The comment I hear most often about my 4 year old is "your son is so well mannered!" (they sound almost surprised) Why is my son so polite? Because since he could speak he has been taught to say please, thank you, your welcome, and excuse me, it didn't just happen on it's own. He also has been taught not to interrupt people when they are speaking. Good behavior is taught not learned. Being a parent and raising a well behaved, well mannered child is hard work. I think some parents have forgotten that and just plop their kids in-front of the t.v or video game and think that the kids raise themselves and the schools will teach them everything else they need to know. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 PM

So discipline is off then.

Coo, glad we had this discussion.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It's an interesting discussion. Schools here haven't had corporeal punishment for decades now, I didn't know it was a thing in the US.

The science says that hitting kids at all is bad.

My own personal experience shows that it gets some mileage, provided it's used as a tool and not for venting anger/frustration.