Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Is it just me????

Old 02-26-2003, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default Is it just me????

Scion (new "youth" division of Toyota) recently put out a survey.

Here's the question

When it comes to Sport Coupes, which would you prefer?
Now...figuring that Scion is Marketed towards younger drivers...and the question has the word "sport" in it, I fully expected the manual transmission option to be in the lead. Boy was I wrong.

Here are the results so far...

A 5-speed manual transmission 4.7%
A 6-speed manual transmission 34.2%
A 4-speed automatic transmission 41.6%
A 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capability 19.5%

Now, Is it just me that wants a "manual" transmission in a "Sports Coupe"??? Or at LEAST the 5-speed Auto with manual shift ability?

Apparently I'm in the minority... sad.gif

If you wan to fill out the survey...(you have to register to fill out the survey)
http://www.scion.com/scion2/pub/live/survey_main.jsp
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I would always pick a manual over automatic, but remember that many sports car buyers choose their cars for show... these are the people you see cruising downtown on Saturday nights with the stereo blasting, hoping that their displays of "drving prowess" (resting one arm on the top of the steering wheel while slouching over to one side, while swaying gently to the rhythm of the latest dance club tune) will get them laid. After all, how can you look like hot **** AND operate a clutch and shifter all at once? wink
These cars are commonly referred to as "penis" cars as many feel the drivers of said vehicles are trying to make up for something... poke

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against show cars OR cruising, for that matter... I just think it's more funny than anything when people think a cool car is the only thing they need to attract the attention of the opposite sex... and honestly, any member of the opposite sex who is attracted to someone because of what car they drive is just a little shallow...

And remember too that car show judges don't base their decisions on what kind of transmission the car has, so if a car is going to be used primarily for show, then having an automatic doesn't matter.

[ February 26, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: stickshift ]
Old 02-26-2003, 03:11 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

It's not just you. But go to a car dealer sometime, 99% of the cars on the lot are built with a "customer prefered" option package, including automatic transmission. The american market has always asked for automatics in its sports cars...just try and find an old 4 speed Corvette, they are as rare as ... they are really rare. (couldn't come up with a metaphor)
Old 02-26-2003, 03:27 AM

Manual always. I studied under a Mech. Engr professor who did a lot of torque converter research for Ford. His advise was "eliminate the middleman, it just wastes power" (referring to the torque converter).

I'm a bit upset becasue my fiancee is starting to look at cars and only wants a manual. This wouldn't bother me, except she's looking at cars like the Audi A4 and Subaru WRX. Just seems like a crime to get either of those in an auto. sad.gif

ac
Old 02-26-2003, 03:49 AM

I have to disagree with Curtas on that one. I own an autotragic WRX. Primary reason I got it was that I can't drive in traffic under a manual for medical reasons and I can't afford a beater car to get to work and back. I don't see how its a crime to have such a car and have it on automatic. The automatic WRX has a form of electronic differential from their WRC cars compared to the manual which only has viscous coupling system. And for very unknown reasons, it responds better to mods compared to the 5spd.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Plus you can't eat Taco Bell as easy with a manual... but it does make sense to make a 6-speed manual available... oh wells... chances are all those Scion's will be ugly like that jeep/van thing... ewww...
Old 02-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

BoOm:
I have to disagree with Curtas on that one. I own an autotragic WRX. Primary reason I got it was that I can't drive in traffic under a manual for medical reasons and I can't afford a beater car to get to work and back.
You've got a "medical" reason...but from what you say, you seem to indicate your personal preference WOULD be for a manual if medical issues were not a concern...

SuperGLS:
Plus you can't eat Taco Bell as easy with a manual...
Uh...don't eat and drive. Certianly not in a "sports" car. rolleyes.gif
Old 02-26-2003, 07:41 AM

I may get flamed for this, but once you reach a certain HP and touque rating, it really doesn't matter much. As many of you have heard me state, I own two, 2001 Camaro Super Sports. Mine is a 6 speed, the wifes is an auto (my bro-in-law also has the same year in an auto.) When we race, either on the highway or the strip, we're pretty much dead even (a K and N filter in his car would probably put him ahead of me.) The fact about drag racing is not only do you need to be fast, you need to be consistent as well. Nothing is more consistent than a quality electronically controlled transmission, which is the exact reason why a lot of drag racers prefer an auto. I wish I had an auto in my SS, it sucks driving that thing around in rush hour traffic as it takes more effort to hold the clutch down.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, i guess I just do too much driving in the mountains, on twisty roads to drive an automatic. I guess it is just me! wink
Old 02-26-2003, 02:47 PM

I live in the Cascades.........I commute through the mountains every day on my way to work. The auto handles the twisties just fine (the wife can keep up with me in my 6 speed). Enough power on tap to carve a nice apex and keep you stuck to the back of your seat and a grin on your face the entire time. If you ever make it to Oregon, I'll let you take the wife's car through them if you'd like.