Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Job Questions ...

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

I am a CS major, almost 2 years through my degree.

Right now I've got a job working in a small office as part of a company's IT department, there's only 5 of us who run the entire department, we are part of a retail group that manages around 7 hardware/department/grocery stores across the state. Since it is such a small environment, it is VERY laid back, and I absolutely LOVE my job because my boss is really cool and understanding, and respects that to me, school comes first. I probably call in to work and say that either I won't be there or I'll be late like once every week or two, because of school. Stuff comes up, exams take longer to study for, projects take longer than expected, labs can go over their alotted time slots...etc....Seriously, my schedule is so hectic, lately, I have only been able to sleep around 6 hours a night, because between my other classes and 2 CS classes and working every day, girlfriend, the tib, and I am also in a fraternity which takes up time every week...every day is like a 12 hour day, I've been very stressed lately. I haven't even had time to play Halo in the last 2 months...lol. Now I know that lots of kids work and go to school, but people don't really know what it means to "spend all night in the library (or computer lab, for me)" unless you are a CS (or any type of science I suppose) major. I go to school at University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, which, from what I have heard from employers at job fairs, my professors, and guidance counseolrs in high school, has one of the best, and also toughest, CS programs in the midwest (WI/MN/IO/IL)...basically this means that I devote a LOT of time outside of class to any CS class. I probably put in 20 hours a week on average in a 3 credit CS class. So, being able to have such a flexible job with an understanding boss REALLY is the only thing I have going "easy" for me right now I guess.

Now, here comes the problem.
At my current job, I make $10.50 an hour. I recently got offered an internship doing Java programming for Great Lakes Higher Education (I'm sure you've heard of them, unless they're only in the midwest?) They would start me out at $16 an hour, with a $1000 sign up bonus (free rent for the summer basically). But, this would mean that I would have to not work my current job over the summer, and I would normally have worked there full time over the summer, so they're kind of counting on that...They would need to find a replacement for me if I left. Normally, since I am making 50% more money at the new job, I would take it--that's quite an increase. But, it's only for the summer, so there's no job security. They said there is a possibility of me staying around for the next semester, but there is no guarantee, they have to make sure that there is enough work for me to do, and obviously they are not going to hire every intern.

So, assuming I took the new job, I would be making substantially more money, so I wouldn't have to work as much, but since they are a much bigger company I doubt they would be as understanding in regards to when school stuff comes up (also assuming they hire me after the summer and I work part time over the school year--which they said is possible). I'm just not sure, if next year is anything like this year, it would be really hard to not have a flexible job...I will be taking junior/senior CS classes next year, including Calculus 2 and 3...it is going to be a heavy workload.
But I do really think that having both my current job, AND this new job on my resume would look very impressive. That would be 3 jobs and GOOD references in my field before my junior year of college, that's pretty good I think. Plus, since it's an internship, it will take care of some of my service learning credits with the university.

I already tried thinking of working both jobs over the summer, but they are the same hours, and the new job says they definitely want me full time, so that's a no go.

So should I take it? And what do I say to my current employer?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would present the situation to the current employer. Tell them you found something else that would be a lot more beneficial financially right now but you also aren't sure on the move. If you can maybe get your current employer to give you a raise then maybe it will be worth it a little bit more to stay with them for security reasons. $16 an hour plus a grans as a signup bonus is one hell of a deal though.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM

yeah^^ I would defenatly see if a raise is possible first. Even if they can't match the $16/hour. imo If you like the job alot it's worth maybe a dollar or so less an hour.

But if you need the money, and like you said it would be a good reference, then go for it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Before you read my reply, I'd like for you to let me know which direction you're leaning towards. I want to offer you my suggestions and ideas on the situation, given my similar experiences, but you ultimately need to decide what's best for you and your career.

Are you taking classes this summer?

Financial Difference between the two positions:
$5.50/hr @ 40hrs = $220 more every week. After taxes (assuming you take home 75% of your paycheck) it comes down to $165 more per week.

Summer... I'm assuming all of May, June, July, and August. That's roughly 20 weeks, giving you $3,300 plus the sign on bonus, making a total of $4,300 MORE money that you'll make if you take this new position.

If you're able to negotiate a higher rate with your current employer, it'll cut that number down.

Taking this position:
PROS:
More money NOW
Better references on resume
Broader range of work experience and programming languages

CONS:
Potentially having a hard time finding a job in the fall to work with your schedule
No fall job = no money = Less money in the long run
Shows lack of time spent with one company (I think 2-3 years with one company may look better than 6 months here, 6 months there)

I know what you're going through. I was a double major (IT and Accounting) taking up to 21 hours per semester at times - I graduated in 4.5 years with 175 credit hours. My junior year, I took Intermediate Accounting III, Cost Accounting, Internal Auditing, Java II, and Christian Tradition - I worked 10-12 hour shifts at a printing press (manual labor) from 3pm-3am (or 5am) with a 9am class. I'd crash on my girlfriend's parents couch for a couple hours in the morning and drag myself to class. I commuted to campus, so I know how valuable lab time is. We used servlets and program packages I didn't have access to on my personal computer, so I had to be in the lab (which is hard when living off campus). That semester, I got 1B, 3 Cs and 1 D, dropped my GPA big time, and I didn't really learn anything. I quit working at the printing press after 6 months, even though I was making $10/hr plus 10-15 hours of paid overtime a week.

I've been there and done that. College should be a time for you to enjoy yourself, while studying hard and learning the shat you're supposed to be. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, this is your last chance to enjoy life and make choices NOT based on money, but happiness. Once you graduate, you'll work 40 hours (minimum) for the next 50 years, so take your time while you can.

My suggestion is that you consider staying at your current place of employment. It may be less money, but the environment and flexibility might be worth the few extra dollars you lose. I would also assume future employers would look positively on a 2-3 year position at the same company, rather than jumping from one summer job to the next. By the way... future employers may not even consider your work in college towards your "experience" whether you actually worked or not. So many "internships" are coffee getters and mail carriers (not all of course, and I don't mean to insinuate that you are).

You have built a good relationship with the people at your current job. To them, you are a reliable asset. To you, they are reliable and dependent on you. I would keep your relationship with them as positive as you can. You may not be making as much money now, but your relationships with those people may lead to better things down the road.

It's hard to give accurate suggestions while not understanding the size and potential of Great Lakes. I have my student loans consolidated through Great Lakes, same people? (mygreatlakes.com). If it's a huge company, it's possible you'll just be another intern that'll get lost in the crowd, and you'll be dropped after the summer. It may be good experience, but you'll be left looking for another job that will work with your school schedule. It probably would look really good on your resume, though... and you need any opportunity to bump your way up the pay scale.

I'd be offering different advice if you weren't a Sophomore in college, but seeing that you are, I'd slow down a bit and enjoy your college experience. Make sure you're able to focus on your school work and social life, and fit your job in wherever you can. If you can financially handle the $10.50/hr. job, then I'd stick with it. You seem to have a good relationship with your boss - I'd make your decision, and if it's to stay with the small company, go to your boss and explain the situation to him. Tell him you'd like to stay at your current position, but it's hard to pass up a 60% pay increase. Tell him you enjoy working for him and appreciate all the flexibility he's provided to you in the past, and ask if there's a way you could get an increase in your pay. The worst he can say is no.

And who knows... you're only a Sophomore, maybe you could work for Great Lakes the following summer and give your current boss more time to find a replacement. shrug.gif

The best thing for you to do in this situation is talk it out with someone (or type it here). A few times, I've been in a tough predicament, and simply talking it out made it apparent to me what the best decision was to be made. I'd like to hear your response to my ideas, and if you agree/disagree with my position. I'm curious which way you were leaning before/after reading this reply.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

The most important thing for you right now is to build a good resume. This is done by doing good in school, but the internships are also very important. I don't agree with majik: when you're in college, internships are the way you should be getting work experience. It's not "jumping from summer job to summer job" - you are simply not able to work during school. Nobody expects you to stay 3 years with a job at this time. This is the time for you to explore the possibilities and see what you are good at/what you like to do. Plus, doing a couple of internships in different places and doing well ensures you will have a number of different references, people that can attest to your qualities.

By the way, in most software companies at least, interns do about as much and almost as useful work as fulltime employees, there are no coffee getters or mail carriers.. The firm you mentioned is prolly not a software company, so I can't say anything about it though.

Jobs during the term are usually the lame jobs since you don't have time to devote to a real job. Example: I am grading calculus homework or doing simple programming work for some project during school; last two summers I worked at Google (as an intern). You can guess which is more important from the perspective of a future potential employer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your regular job is lame, but if no one heard of the company you're working for, they can't know if you are doing anything useful at all. I think working at a bigger firm might be a great advantage; you might end up with an even better internship next summer and eventually a better job.

In terms of money - it would be harder for you financially if you won't have your current job during the term anymore, but it would be a lot easier time-wise and you might be happier overall if you can make do with less money. It just depends how important are the money from this job, and if you think there is a real chance you could keep the new job after the summer.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Very good points radu.

I agree with you on the resume building... but I think the money factor is huge in the situation. If you can earn a few extra grand during the summer, would you be able to make it through the fall without working? Devote time to studies and life, and if it works out then work at Great Lakes through the fall semester. I worked my butt off during the summers so I wouldn't have to during school, but I eventually worked during the semester. I would assume the extra $3,00-4,000 would help you get through the fall if you couldn't go back with the smaller company. You could easily clear $10,000 take home pay working full time with Great Lakes this summer, which is great for a summer job. You should be able to make that last through the fall if necessary

radu makes some very valid points, consider all risks and rewards. It's hard to give more help when I don't know more about your financial situation and how much money plays into the scenario. Also, if Great Lakes is a big and popular company in your area, and your post-graduation interviews would recognize it and hold it in high regard, then that's another thing to consider. The company I work for probably isn't know except for 4 cities in America... but it's HUGE in Nashville and very well known, so going anywhere else in Nashville it would be a HUGE thing to have on my resume... but if I were to move to California, Maryland, or Michigan they wouldn't know what my company was.