Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

It's Time To Get A Laser Detector

Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

so last saturday i went to lansing, ks. to see a old classmate of mine. I was using my new tomtom GPS to make sure my speedo was correct since DTN did the led's in them, which it was. so, about 1/4 mile south of Lansing the the speed limit drops to 50 mph. cop up on the hill pulls me over and i'm thinking, "I got this bastard" cause once i went past the sign i dropped from 65 to 48 mph just cause it is a town that i have never been in. cops give me a ticket for 63 in a 50 and was very short in all the questions i asked him and especially short when i asked him,"where did you clock me because my gps told me I was under the speed limit the minute i went right past the sign."

so i call today to see if i can get this ticket knocked off since i have been trying to be a good boy and since my car doesn't really "blend in",lol. It just happened that the chief of police answered the phone and i got to talk to him for awhile. i told him i was new to the town, that didn't help. I told him i dropped down to 48 mph via what my gps said immediately after the 50 mph sign, that didn't help.

while talking to him i noticed that the footage in which officer dicknuts lasered me was 1,537.9 ft!!! I asked him just how accurate that was and why so far away since that would basically be roughly the same point at the 50 mph sign. this is where it gets good.

he seemed to chuckle after i said the part about the sign and so i asked him...what so funny? he replied," there is a restaurant sign 50 ft. after that 50 mph sign and i have my officers point the laser at that sign and whatever goes through that gets tagged."

50 FEET?!!!! we are talking about a 4 lane highway here, christ. i then asked him," how do you know your lasers are so accurate from that far away?" he replied," cause we do the R&D for the company."

okay, i am totally not believing this guy after this so after finding that if i double the price of the ticket it will be removed from my record, i hit a google search.

sure as shit on farmers boots, that laser gun company is out of Lenexa, Ks. ,DAMNIT!!!

just FYI, maximum range for a pro laser 3 is from 3 to 4000 ft.

so, after that longwinded story.... recommend me a good laser detector please.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow thats a long range. Laser is a tough one because it comes on instantly and is not like radar which can be picked up far away. The only way to pick it up is if the detector sees him shoot at someone else as far as I know. I have used the Solo S2 in the past with good results.

Im not sure if there are any good laser jammers out there or if they are legal by you but that may be something to look into.

What I said about lasers is just what I remember from a couple years ago so it may not be the same anymore. I know the V1 by valentine is known to be very good as well but carries like a 500 dollar price tag. The Solo is like 350 I think.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

jeez that's the price of a few tickets around here! Why not just slow down?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

lol, sticker, i did slow down, just not before the sign. i just didn't realize that the little town of Lansing would be that anal about a speed zone.

I have actually been a very good boy the past two years. always setting my cruise at the posted limit, never 5 over. I guess this one time of not knwoing the surroudings got me in terms of speed zones. lesson learned and will not happen the next time i go there, if there is one.

i basically just want a lasar detector to keep myself in check in case i am in a new area i am not used to and a zone comes up soon is all.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, a laser detector will just let you know when you get a ticket if you are over the limit at all. you can't possibly react fast enough, it's the speed of light you're dealing with and in a narrow beam, so there's no detecting it until it already has you.

the same thing happened to me a while ago.