Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Ipod Facelift

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my old iPod mini is still kicking but it looks like crap. I bought it off a guy at work a year or so ago and it was a gay baby blue color and had a good number of scratches and dents, so it was pretty ugly...

I was bored today so I decided to give it a facelift with some auto paint. It was harder than I though because I had to take it COMPLETELY apart, but here's a few pics, Ill update it later tonight when everything's put back together...

Before:

Internals:

Process:

Finished: (Will post up later)

Yeah, I was bored.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

damn you wanna also paint my fiberglassed center din?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Finished:

Not Perfect, But I think it came out looking pretty good. I wish the trackpad had black lettering rather than blue, but what they hey, it kind of fits with the blue display...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Not bad! That turned out great! I'm thinking about doing that to my Creative Zen, it's getting pretty dinged up.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Nex

i think this procedure would be a lil complicated with a zen, arent they made with a plastic body or w/e?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah, they use a plastic body with lighting on the outside. I'd really like to re-do mine because its getting pretty banged up though. Maybe just mask it off and paint for now or something.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

that's cool, i always do little shit like that.

seems like maybe you didnt prime it though? if you ever try it again, prime, then sand the primer smooth with like a 600 grit sandpaper. then hit with SUPER light coats of paint, enough just to barely give a full cover. follow with a couple shots of clear, then a polishing compound. should get rid of the little bit of "orange peel" i'm seeing.

but props. just providing you with stuff that ive learned after doing this 80 billion times.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 PM

I primed and sanded, then painted and sanded x4, then Cleared.... Polishing tomorrow. But what it is is the ghey Acrylic Enamel that wont go on smooth. I used this stuff:

But i put VERY light coats twice, but the paint wouldnt go on even and it just "clumped" kind of hard to explain.... but it wouldn't "mist" it was more like "rain" drops if you get what Im saying (Brand New Can BTW so not a bad nozzle)...
Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Looks great man! What you need to do is wait for the paint to cure (like a week or two), then use some Rubbing Compound, then some Polishing compound, then put a nic wax on it. It will come out in show room condition. Just make sure you keep it in the garrage when it rains and don't let your friends drive it.