Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Interesting story

Old 06-26-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm talking to my friend this afternoon. He has a 2000 Celica and he's trying to mod it like I am with the Tib. Well he's driving his Mom's PT Cruiser because his engine went out because the dealership said his air intake got moisture into his engine? Is this possible? Does that make any sense? I couldn't believe when I heard it.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:28 PM

I am pretty sure it is, you can get a filter on my aem for it, but i dotn ahve it, but supposidly it can wreck your enjine...
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 PM

yeah it can seize (sp?) the engine up...that's why you don't wanna to playing in puddles with your CAI.

edit: isn't it called Hydra-lock. or something like that.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

hydrolock...

and there's a difference between "moisture" and "water"... i'm pretty sure that a little bit of H20 won't damage your engine. it's when you're literally swimmin in it, sucking it into the engine is when you're pushin your luck

i think there may be a chance that they (toyota) just doesn't wanna honor the claim. where is the cone filter located? is it like ours in the bumper??
Old 06-26-2004, 06:37 PM

thats why you get a BYPASS VALVE for your cold air if your gonna do some deep sea diving with your car. most people havent had problems tho, w/o one. and putting one on means losing 2-3 hp power, and when your only gaining roughly 8 hp, it kinda defeats the purpose.

also most people believe you dont really need one unless your driving in water that actually touches your filter, and maybe some of it is just luck.

man your buddy must of been driving thru some wicked $#!+. what exactly did he go thru to make that happen?

or could be the dealership being d*ckh**ds.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:11 PM

haha.... d*ckh**ds....

what are we playin "guess the word" now....

man i dont believe that the engine locked up or "seized" because of "moisture" in the engine... it takes quite a bit of water to do that... unless he got water in there and then left the car sitting for like a month and it developed rust or something... doesnt sound right to me
Old 06-26-2004, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Water, to stop your engine instantly, needs to be in quantity.

The REASON water will stop your engine is because you cannot compress a liquid. Enough water gets in there, your pistons go up, try to compress it, but since you CANNOT compress water (you can pressurize it), it will crack your block, your head gasket, blow a piston, break a rod, whatever.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

that sucks....
moisture wouldn't do it
but letting your engine drink water will.
bummer for him.