Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I'm Back!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

..TALES FROM AROUND THE GLOBE!!

BEHOLD!!

Yeah, I saw another red 1987 Pony in Hamilton, thought I'd post that.

So far, so good on the respect from Torontonians (and Hamiltonians) on giving me props for my rare and classic car.... oh wait, haterz be hatin' (they see me rollin...)

Everything old becomes new again.

Je gagne. Comme toujours.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i loved ALL Hyundais up until about 2000+... pony, excel, excel sedan, tiburon, elantra... all hyundai design legends. their designs have Hyundai written all over them and stand out from anywhere. i can point any one of those out from a mile away. even my friends point out tiburons or elantras from a distance while driving to tell me they're pieces of sh*t.

this was exactly like our first hyundai ever back in '87, but the dark red color, and dark red seats, later coincidently on our elantra wagon too. (nice upgrade by the way):

jed, you and i have something in common. we have an imagination that sees true beauty how it should be and cannot accept beauty how it is now. the beauty i see in music, movies, girls, and cars hasn't been created yet and i won't accept anything less than a true piece of art untouched by money or greed, but designed with virtues in mind.

all Hyundais from 2000+ are just regular bland cars to me. Hyundai nowhere written, nowhere felt. they lost their identity. bull f*** sh** if you ask me.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hence why your opinion here is starting to really matter less and less. Lots of folks used to listen to what you said HKC, and your love for the F2 has known no bounds. BUT over the past year or two, all you do is talk smack about every car that is not an RD1. The RD1 failed Hyundai, sorry if you don't see it, but it did. The RD2 tried to pull it out with some fancier designs and copying other models, but still, it didn't have the needed effect, hence the major design change in the XD/GK models. Hyundai has had big successes ever since my man, and the rest of the world sees it, why don't you?

I'm the opposite. Every design that Hyundai had before the RD1 was utter shit in my opinion. The J2 elantra was frigging ugly, my old 93 Excel and the model that followed were both ugly. The pony is atrocious, a Korean El Camino, but a complete failure too in almost all aspects. Hell, even the Koreans don't drive that shit anymore, any of those, they were incremental designs to start helping get their quality up, but these are the same models that make Hyundai have a shitty rep for quality. The only reason I bought my Excel is I didn't trust American cars anymore, and the only 2 cars I could afford was the Excel or a old VW Fox, and I knew what VW parts cost. My excel was good to me, but that doesn't mean it was a good car.

Not at all.

The GK Tiburon and the newest Elantra/Sonata are high quality cars, whether you like it or not, and have put Hyundai on the map. The Genesis and Coupe will push it further, way further, and will further push the reputation of older Hyundais into the shitter.

Cute pic Jed.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 AM

^
The pony is atrocious, a Korean El Camino, but a complete failure too in almost all aspects.

HAHA. The Pony's were POS's, but other cars made of heap weren't much better.

I’m going to have to say that I agree with you however you are talking about quality and American standard. Hyundais now are improved, but what I’m saying is they look like dung. What you said is true for America but not the rest of the world. I will agree that my habit to look back is pointless and stupid because there’s absolutely no point and I might be speaking against the facts. I don’t even know if jed likes rd’s in general!

Hyundai execs stated if it weren’t for the Excel, the company wouldn’t exist today. The 90’s were a phase of Hyundai to try and upgrade their image. I think it worked and because the cars were attractive, people bought them. The 90’s also saw a global intervention of CAD for the first time, there were more efficient ways of making and including features like dual airbags or power windows. They were on the right track, but quality was still an issue because every car back then had quality issues.

I read reviews in Polish articles all the time. They were and are the Hondas of Europe. The Hyundais of the 90’s were major hits in most of Europe, Russia, India, Middle East, South Africa, and South America. Hyundais were designed small for heavily congested metropolitan Korean cities there are congested cities and a lack of good roads. Of course they weren’t accepted much in the United States, we already had big Caprices, Lincolns, Crown Vics, Buicks, and anything else was a downgrade. Our country is a big, big country with big, long highways so acceptance back then was quite obvious. The reason Hyundai had trouble surviving in America back then was because they didn’t build a luxury brand like: Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infiniti, VW-Audi and so on.

The Genesis platforms were built for America by America and will represent good quality cars because they are big and fast. When it comes to quality, I think it’s not Hyundai that was built cheap back then, but every car has come a long way such a standard today that in order to keep up with the auto industry and improvements had to be made just like videogames, cell phones, computers.

Jeremy, it's like comparing SNES to Wii. Me and Jed are just stuck in time. I know quality and standard have a massive role in this company, but when we talk about looks it’s a whole different ballgame. The last 12 years have been improvement like night and day for all companies alike no matter what the make.

I won’t say I’m correct but my perception is a little different. You likely have a better idea of what the past and present holds however I have a different view of what happened with Tiburon.

The RD2 tried to pull it out with some fancier designs and copying other models, but still, it didn't have the needed effect, hence the major design change in the XD/GK models.

RD2 global sales were less than RD1. GK sales were less than RD1. They kept trying to revive it, breathe life into it but they have these timetables and charts specifically in accordance with timing to throw out the name and reputation. Throwing out the name in 2009 was on the table for a long time regardless of sales and design. I can imagine how the 2008 Tiburons would be looking without the uncertainty in between. Maybe something so iconic it would be considered classic with a tiger’s eyes ready to pounce its prey, perhaps it would have been like a great muscular warrior roaming the streets, it could have lived up to the most impressive car name ever invented. Improvement was long overdue right after the success of RD1, but instead it was followed by insult, disgrace, and shame to this day. That is why I don’t consider 00-08 tiburon models, or any other models looks in that time frame.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 AM

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Aug 11 2008, 01:20 AM)
Hence why your opinion here is starting to really matter less and less. Lots of folks used to listen to what you said HKC, and your love for the F2 has known no bounds. BUT over the past year or two, all you do is talk smack about every car that is not an RD1. The RD1 failed Hyundai, sorry if you don't see it, but it did. The RD2 tried to pull it out with some fancier designs and copying other models, but still, it didn't have the needed effect, hence the major design change in the XD/GK models. Hyundai has had big successes ever since my man, and the rest of the world sees it, why don't you?

I'm the opposite. Every design that Hyundai had before the RD1 was utter shit in my opinion. The J2 elantra was frigging ugly, my old 93 Excel and the model that followed were both ugly. The pony is atrocious, a Korean El Camino, but a complete failure too in almost all aspects. Hell, even the Koreans don't drive that shit anymore, any of those, they were incremental designs to start helping get their quality up, but these are the same models that make Hyundai have a shitty rep for quality. The only reason I bought my Excel is I didn't trust American cars anymore, and the only 2 cars I could afford was the Excel or a old VW Fox, and I knew what VW parts cost. My excel was good to me, but that doesn't mean it was a good car.

Not at all.

The GK Tiburon and the newest Elantra/Sonata are high quality cars, whether you like it or not, and have put Hyundai on the map. The Genesis and Coupe will push it further, way further, and will further push the reputation of older Hyundais into the shitter.

Cute pic Jed.

I agree strongly with you Redz. Before the era of the RD1, Hyundais were cars without character (until 'tuners' got a hold on some of them, adding stuff to make it somewhat spicy). We used to have an Excel. 1994 model I think, and it was fine. No out-of-the-ordinary repairs. But it was so damn bland. It was just there to get you from point A to point B. And when you park it, I can't stand looking at it for a long time without falling asleep. Mind you, it was as stock as the factory delivered it. It was quite shiny, never dirty. But it didn't matter. The only times I miss it is when my car breaks down and I have an errand to attend to. Heck, I even miss my old 94 Mitsubishi L200 diesel pick-up truck more than that Excel.

But that's not to say that HKC is wrong or something. He is just one of the few devoted, dare I say, "old-school" Hyundai fans here (accept it, RDs are soon oldschool) lmao.gif . And that's not such a bad thing. IMO though, it's a bit weird, but not in a bad way.

I can see no difference with HKC and the people who dedicate their spare-time buliding up era-correct "Rat-Rods" and finishing them off in primer.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM

I dunno Jed, you think that Pony could survive against Russian tanks?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

old hyundais = FAIL.

the j2 is probably the ugliest hyundai of all IMO.. and then of course the pre 90s ones, but most pre 90s cars were fugly period..

Hyundais now are improved, but what I’m saying is they look like dung.

you must be on some really bad/good drugs to even make that statement.. the only hyundai before the new generations that had any nice design to it, was the RD series, but then again, you probably like the style of the late 90s sonata also.. lmao.gif
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Jed!? Where did you find that picture? It was posted in this article today:
http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-08-11-voa32.cfm

Supposedly the picture was taken yesterday...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Aug 11 2008, 05:23 PM)
old hyundais = FAIL.

Right. They failed. That's why we're all here, enjoying bland styling that looks like a bit of camry here, a bit of accord there, dare I say some GM (malibu to be specific) thrown in there for good measure...

Old Hyundais: Precursors to new ones. Look at that one in the pic, someone will be enjoying that car's reliability for a decade to come... they'd have to get some taillamps for it if anyone behind them wants to see any other colour other than white for instance... wear and tear!

You especially shall remain silent, proudly boasting your domestic crap on an RD tiburon forum. True, I don't have one either, but a member of my now immediate family does. Making me the victor. In all aspects. Forever. nana.gif

The argument that Koreans won't drive them anymore is weak. Shit, even in Poland, any car older than 10+ years is discarded as a heap. Our own national product was destroyed by GM and reincarnated into nothing better than Daewoo-rebadged Vauxhauls.

Trust me.

The Pony is coming back.

Hard.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM

thankyou 41willys. maybe in the future when i get some really good money i'll really spice this thing up, my dream of converting to f2 widebody while i'm in london and can get the panels. we had a '94 excel 3-door too. i agree it wasn't the most beautiful car, however you're looking at it from a different perspective. i would look at it as being a huge improvement of the same original chassis without developing an entirely new car. accents also were the best selling cars in all of Australia for a few years in front of Holden.

you guys need to consider those old designs. they were designed by the infamous italian designer giugiaro, who designed the Lancia Delta Intergrale, and who saved 50% of todays major manufacturers. if you are the least interested, you're going to be surprised at the huge list of awesome cars he has designed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgetto_Giugiaro

next, i wouldn't consider this car ugly at all. i don't know what you guys are talking about. i can do without plastic nostril vents all over the place:

nate, i didn't like the sonata at all though, but look at it from my perspective. it was a facelift, and a proper one at that just like the last excel was a proper facelift.

my sister had a 2000 tiburon, and my best friend has a 2005 tiburon. i can't begin to tell you how bothersome their inaccuracies were. if you guys tore down the new hyundais from the old, you'd find out the older ones have more consideration put into them.