Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

If people were allowed to choose where tax money went

Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default If people were allowed to choose where tax money went

This is all hypothetical, but lets say the government no longer had control of how it spent the money it receives through taxes--instead, people that pay taxes, while still required to pay them, can now actively choose and know where and what every dollar they pay goes to.

The programs that are funded by taxes would now be forced to justify their existence and would have to prove their level of necessity. Programs that aren't beneficial would become uncompetitive, and would either reform or just disappear, cleaning up resource drains and improving efficiency.

I have no idea how it could work, but what is so wrong with this? Is it too idealistic?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yes, it is. People in DC hold tight to their power. They won't even get the Fair Tax proposal passed, and that could work.

Letting people pick where tax money goes would lead to some badass highways, the an even awesomer military, gold-plated schools, and not a whole lot else. Arts would fall off the radar, research would shrink big time. But the real reason it wouldn't work is bridges-to-nowhere that benefit the home district would be right out. No kickback/pork action = can't pass, sorry. If you don't like that as the attitude of your current government, try helping out your local Taxed Enough Already Party type people who run for office.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Yes, please support the Tea Party. Help give the Dems back the House.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by Hyundai321
The programs that are funded by taxes would now be forced to justify their existence and would have to prove their level of necessity. Programs that aren't beneficial would become uncompetitive, and would either reform or just disappear, cleaning up resource drains and improving efficiency.
This isn't true in the slightest! If you give the general public a say in how federal revenue is spent nothing would be accomplished and the money would be squandered worse than it is now. Tax rates would tank to anemic levels so that John & Jane Q. Public could keep money in their pocket. The federal government would whither away into nothing in no time, leaving state governments that are grossly unprepared and underfunded, and the entire country would fall into defenseless turmoil.

You fail to recognize how little the masses know about government spending. Decisions by the vastest majority would be based upon personal feeling and bias, in other words "whats in it for me." This is why we have representatives who are (no matter how much you may want to argue this point) well educated. Yes they have bias opinions about how the government should be run, however that is guiding line that helps checks and balances work and is based on a national outlook, not personal "I want" mentality.

I see the theory, but its a horrible idea.

The reason we elect representatives is to protect dumb people from themselves. Like it or not, that's the reality.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

"choosing where your tax money goes"

Is that, each individual chooses where their tax money goes? (that is the same as not having tax at all)

Or the population as a whole chooses where their tax money goes? (that is unfettered democracy)

national outlook, not personal "I want" mentality.

I see the point you are making.

Even stupid people can see that working together, actually increases 'what's in it for me'.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If you've never participated in an HOA, do so. They're mini-governments running amuck.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ this, if only to protect yourself. Plus you will probably learn a lot about what is going on in your neighborhood.

I joined my HOA to prevent them trampling on me, personally, after they started issuing nastygrams and talking about $100 fines for not putting away trash cans in the appropriate part of the yard.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I vote for hookers and blow.

XPDtf.jpg
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

HOAs are the #1 reason I decided to start looking north GA mountains rather than the suburbs. No HOAs up here at all and no one wants them either. Love it.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I vote for hookers and blow.

I think you finally found the platform we can agree on!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

more for hookers and blow!