Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

If This Doesn't Make It Clear Enough, I Don't Know What Will

Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!!
It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV:

Recently, large demonstrations have taken place across
the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally
addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain
people are angry that the U.S. might protect its own
borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country
and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I
correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you
discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I
say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did
the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things
you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except
for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay,
you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate
my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family
(my husband will do your yard work) because he too is
hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part.

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call
my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that
proclaim my right to be there

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house
than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working
and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the
cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it
without being accused of selfishness,
prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I
want you to learn my language so you can communicate with
me! English is too hard for me to learn. You should also
allow me to vote--in my own language, since I live in your
house!

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is? Only in
America....

If you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see
the value of it as a good simile. If not, blow it off,
along with your future Social Security
funds.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Thank you for posting that! I got that in my email a couple of days ago.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

only to tru my friends...even sadder is that we WONT even protect our border patrol agents whom were only doing their job, instead we give immunity to a DRUG smuggler so we can convict them. sad some say, a disgrace in my mind.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

=/ yup, i got emailed that too a few days ago, checked inbox today lol. Yeah its pathetic that shit like this goes on. AND NOBODY REALIZES IT, best part is, only 2 people commented on it lol, just i guess goes to show you the importance people see in this laugh.gif. I honestly wish i had the time to send this everywhere i can think of and post it up on walls and such..... I think im going to do it at my college, if i get kicked out, atleast it was worth it.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah that is a very good letter. lady who wrote it realizes what's been happening.

like, no offense to those guys they are hard working and do great jobs but as much as it helps/cleans up our country it destroys it. i haven't seen america look this preserved and concrete ever. but crime is up, non-english speaking people goddamnit no offense to you guys but the people who know they're coming into this country hit the books hard. i know of many europeans who come here and get professional jobs because they come here educated and self-trained.

if you can't speak english, well that's why you landed a sh*tty job. your kids will grow up ghetto, act ghetto, or date ghetto. goddamn for once i just want to meet a nice girl who doesn't listen to rap (no offense to rap it's just the people behind it and listen to it mostly i wouldn't be friends with). then the ghetto becomes a slum and it's back from the start, low income areas, crime, drugs and gas stations you can't understand in your own country.

if you live in the city like me, it just spells more traffic and more crime.

theres some unfair stuff going on in this country and there's nothing anyone can do about it. sorry but i just don't see non-english speaking people coming into this country both illegaly and with passports who land engineering, nursing, education jobs their first day in town. then the bright kids who grow up here and know english and have so much potential cannot get into colleges either because of affirmative action or overcrowdation. not a damn thing anyone can do about that.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Well some people don't have the go-nads to stand up for what is right... oh well. They woulD much rather be a sheep and follow, rather than say "HEY THAT'S NOT RIGHT!."
Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 AM

enforcing the borders will not keep them out though. It did not keep all the East Germans from getting West Germany. What needs to be done is enforcment from THIS side.. If a business is found to be hiring illegals, don't just slap them on the wrist. I want heavy fines for the illegal activity, bill the business for the price of sending the illegals back to where they came from, and possibly some jail time for either the business owner or (if in the case of a large corp) the people in charge of hiring and checking credentials.

As long as there are jobs here, people will sneak across the border to work here. It is a simple fact. If the jobs dry up because nobody will hire an illegal, there is no reason to come here.

That said, I am ALL in favor of "day" and "season" passes for migrant workers. Let them come here and work, pay their share of the taxes, and when the day (or season) is done.. home they go. They can life better there with what they made here anyway
Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i'm not for immigration or anything but i think it is funny how the people of america who immigrated here hate the idea of anyone else looking for the same freedoms and justices that we have gained.

i think that immegrants should have to pay the same taxes and things but there is no reason why they cant share in the goodness of this country. i think IMO thats just a greed and selfish way to live life, telling others that they arent allowed the same oppertunity to prosper.

" A nation thats stolen, can never be golden" - Kottonmouth Kings
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Not all of my ancestors immigrated. I fall just a little short of being able to claim native American Status.

However, my Great Grandmother and my grandmother on my mother's side (different sides of her side of the family though) are both recent immigrants. My Grandmother was a War Bride and came over after the war was done. My Great Grandmother Fled Russia when the Revolution came. Her side of the family was well connected to the Kremlin (her mother supposedly either taught the Czar's children or some of his household's children) For more than 40 years she lived in Upper Michigan pretending to be Polish. We did not find out until long after her death that she was actually russian and spoke 7 languages fluently. Basically, she was hiding for her life, afraid that agents from Soviet Russia would find her and her family and kill them all.

yes, I have an interesting family tree
Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 PM

off topic, I know for sure that my mother's grandfather immigrated here from England in the early 1900s. Supposedly, according to my grandmother (father's mom), one of my greatgrandfathers was a full blooded Cherokee. I really don't know what I am, besides white.

on topic- While I agree that everyone deserves the opportunity to have a better life here, we just can't let some people break the rules while we strictly enforce it on others. It is hard as hell alot of legal immigrants to come here, and they have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get here. If we just let people run across the border and stay here, it's sort of a slap to the face to all the people that worked their asses off to get here.

And on the whole 'we don't want to learn your language, you need to learn ours' nonsense, f*** them. They've lost their goddamn minds if they think that the citizens of the country they're illegaly entering should change their way of life just to make them more comfortable.